New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

sliding egg access doors?

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 

So I am still in the design phase of my coop planning and while searching for nest box ideas I came across this really interesting sliding egg access door mechanism...

I like this idea but I was wondering if anyone has tried anything similar or can help me with pros/cons.

My first concern was making it predator proof- we have racoons and opossums that I think would be smart enough to lift this sliding mechanism so I was thinking of adding a latch or other locking mechanism. My other concern was weathertightness but the location of this side of the coop faces the house and will be protected from rain by a partial covering of our roof and the coop roof so there shouldn't be a lot of rain water running down this side of the coop and leaking into the nestbox.

What are your thoughts?

post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajensen2713 View Post
 

so I was thinking of adding a latch or other locking mechanism. 

If you made the lifting handles protrude further, you could put one piece of timber across the top (with supports on either side).  I agree that any smarty-pants animal could work those doors. 

 

My main question is cleaning.  Having the little individual hatch doors means you can't clean from the outside.  I have one big door over the back, and it's great to be able to sweep the bedding out (my girls are bad, they sleep in the nest boxes so I have to get poo out.)  Also, if bits of pine shaving coming out of the hole, the sliding door might get "jammed up", you'd have to sweep away any loose bedding to keep it functioning properly. My single lift-up door also means I can access all nest boxes at once, with that you have to access each individually (and there's no way of knowing whether there's an egg in there - I suppose if you have a large flock you'd be rewarded each time, with my few girls I'd be opening and shutting those all day).

 

Personally, I wouldn't go for that design.  I'm too lazy.  :D

post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by potato chip View Post
 

If you made the lifting handles protrude further, you could put one piece of timber across the top (with supports on either side).  I agree that any smarty-pants animal could work those doors. 

 

My main question is cleaning.  Having the little individual hatch doors means you can't clean from the outside.  I have one big door over the back, and it's great to be able to sweep the bedding out (my girls are bad, they sleep in the nest boxes so I have to get poo out.)  Also, if bits of pine shaving coming out of the hole, the sliding door might get "jammed up", you'd have to sweep away any loose bedding to keep it functioning properly. My single lift-up door also means I can access all nest boxes at once, with that you have to access each individually (and there's no way of knowing whether there's an egg in there - I suppose if you have a large flock you'd be rewarded each time, with my few girls I'd be opening and shutting those all day).

 

Personally, I wouldn't go for that design.  I'm too lazy.  :D

Thanks for your honest opinion, I appreciate the cleaning tip, I didn't think of that part and I have learned from reading other posts that the less you have to go in the coop the better? I am building a walk in coop but I have read how a lot of people do that but then make feeding, watering and egg collection possible from outside the coop. I'm trying to plan ahead for the most convenient coop and run I can think of :)

post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajensen2713 View Post
 

that the less you have to go in the coop the better?

Every time you open the door to go in there, you'll be mobbed or they'll try getting out.  

 

Quote:

but then make feeding, watering and egg collection possible from outside the coop. I'm trying to plan ahead for the most convenient coop and run I can think of :)

Good idea to think about it in advance.  Consider the things you do frequently and how much you don't want to have to negotiate chickens milling about your feet.  External access for removing bedding would be on my list, if I were designing a coop.  I can take out the bedding from the nest boxes, but have to go inside to clean out the rest.  Having an openable flap on the other side would have been good.  (now I've got the other run it's ok, I can put the chickens in there and do it without "assistance", but I still have to carry the "stuff" out through the attached run.   Feeding I don't mind going in because they don't mob ME, they chase the food, and they aren't going to go for the door, they'll go for the food.  I've only got a few hens though, if you have a lot, you might prefer to do the feeders from outside.  

 

I'd make it as "openable" from the outside as it can be for ease of cleaning.  No lips or nooks or crannies to trap bedding or poo.  Flat surfaces.  If there needs to be a restraint for bedding, make it removable.   That'd be my main "want". 

post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajensen2713 View Post I came across this really interesting sliding egg access door mechanism...

 

hat are your thoughts?

You already hit on what would be my greatest concern which would be weather proofing.

Sounds like you may have that covered (no pun intended.)

Hope this helps,

Check out this link leads to a Video interview on me and my grand daughter done by a local TV Station on our WHITE HOMING PIGEON loft:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1478351/carrier-pigeons-continue-to-connect-family/

If you are not living for something;

You are dying for nothing.

Reply

Hope this helps,

Check out this link leads to a Video interview on me and my grand daughter done by a local TV Station on our WHITE HOMING PIGEON loft:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1478351/carrier-pigeons-continue-to-connect-family/

If you are not living for something;

You are dying for nothing.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: