I would like to join in if it's not to late. I set 30 Australorp eggs on March 24th. These eggs are shipped eggs from Meyer Hatchery. I ordered 24, when I opened the box there was 35 , Surprise ! Last year I set 21 eggs from them and had 15 hatch out. This is only my second time at incubating so maybe last year was beginners luck. My incubator is a homemade one I put together last winter for a project.
Opened up the incubator for the first time this morning to candle the eggs and trace the air cells. So far out of 30 eggs I had two that were infertile and two that had died. Twenty-six still in the game. The air cells are right on the mark for 7 days,and not one funky or detached cell. That's something for shipped eggs,I think shipping in those foam blocks is the way to go. Have not had to make a temperature adjustment since I set . Power comes on at 99.5 and shuts off at 100. Using a STC- 1000 temp controller, and put my faith in a Brinsea spot check thermometer to monitor. I thing the eight pint mason jars of wet sand really help to keep the temps stabilized. I do run it a week before I set to get all the kinks out of it.
Edited by Feather duster - 4/1/16 at 7:41am