OMG! Newly hatched showgirls are NOT cute! My daughter was watching it hatch with me. When it emerged from the shell it was all like pulsing slime and no feathers on its neck and most of its head. And she got this horrified look on her face. She was all like "Mom! I think we need to put it back in the shell. It's not finished yet!"
Ok. 15th day of April. I just placed 17 duck and 57 chicken eggs in the incubator. Yes that's more than my Easter hatch 😂😂😂
The chicks due on the 6th and ducks on the 13th.... Oh great. Another hatch on a day I'll be gone most of the day. Field trip with my son on the 13th 😂😂😂😅😅😅 FRIDAY THE 13TH 😜 for those who are scared of that date 😜
hmmmm wonder where you could be going on friday 13th? giggles..... not like a farm or better yet butcher shop?
Ok. Now that I've given my entry info I need help. I've never done duck eggs. Much less duck eggs with chicken eggs together. I know duck eggs need to be at around 50% humidity but temp is about the same right? Do I turn them the same? I'm laying all flat and hand turning them. I've got an extra temp/humidity gauge for double coverage so that's covered.
Sooooo.... Suggestions will be very welcome 😊 advice. I know I should of put the duck eggs in a week before but collection rates didn't let me.
They candle the same right???
you have to watch air cells same as chickens, sometimes breeds can be hard to loose weight!!
- Introduction to Keeping Ducks
- INCUBATING DUCK EGGS images complete post #46755
- Incubating and Hatching Duck Eggs Metzer Farms CLICK HERE
Duck, Duck GooseA basic guide to caring for your new waterfowl
- Mule Ducks or Moulards http://www.metzerfarms.com/MuleDucks.cfm
- Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks provides vital information for anyone wanting to keep ducks. HERE
- Incubating & Hatching Muscovy Eggs
- Keeping duck water clean post #47877
- Casportspony Scovy malpositions assists post #43908
- Heathers Call DUCK assist post #43902
- Duckling was high risk for yolk sac infection, dipped it's umbilicus in chlorhexidine and gave it Baytril. post #35400 Chlorhexidine post #35432
- Incubating Duck eggs http://theharriedhomemakerpreps.blogspot.com/2012/06/how-to-incubate-shipped-duck-eggs.html
- DUCKS can have Spraddle leg too! post #15184 post #1535
- Ducks Gees NIACIN post #73000
- How much Cold can a DUCK take?http://wholefedhomestead.com/what-temperature-can-a-duck-survive/
- Rens Duck HATCH post #42494
- Duckling navel wry neck? NOPE yolk infection! post #16089
- Duckling Care links = click here Duckling Care
- KEEPING DUCK BROODER CLEAN http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/duckling-care-brooder-ideas post #1221
- Raising Ducklings To Ducks
- Duckling Care & Brooder Ideas
- Duckling Care and the Ancona Breed
- PALLET DUCK HOUSES post #16063
- Keeping Muscovy Ducks
- Common Muscovy Health Problems
- Foot and Leg Problems in Waterfowl - Niacin Deficiency
- Waterfowl Housing – Coop & Run Designs & Plans For Ducks, Geese, Etc.
- The Cuticle removal for those big eggs and Duck eggs? post #25379
- Overcoming late mortality when hatching Peking duck eggs post #20952
- MUDDY DUCK egg discussions post #17018
- Fancy ducks http://www.backyardchickens.com/g/a/6321490/my-waterfowl-collection/
- Duck/Geese Chicken Diapers HOW TO and buy post #71548
good news just on time!!!! do you have pics of your air cells? shipped eggs are so hard! I am sure you read that a plenty!
oh noooooooo funerals!! goodness !!!
WHO is ENABLER?? ps.... DO NOT READ THE BOTTOM INFORMATION!!! ITS HAZARDS to yer health!
HOW TO REQUEST AND SHIP EGGS Sally Sunshine Way
HOWTOREQUESTANDSHIPEGGSSallySunshineWay.docx 940k .docx file
Results Shipped SS Way post #63575 cree post #6321
REQUEST HOW YOU WANT YOUR eggs SHIPPED PEOPLE!!!! post #4964
Kristins horribly shipped eggs and hatch post #57321
DO you have to be NPIP certified to ship hatching eggs? States/Agencies Info see post #33884
Great IDEAS to find eggs CHEAP!
Julian date on trader Joe eggs understanding it! http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/partners/fepp/julian-calendar.pdf post #5098
BYC Links for EGGS........
HATCHING EGGS FOR SALE/TRADE BYC http://www.backyardchickens.com/f/36/chicken-hatching-eggs
I run over 70% if air cells are on track
LOL I may just have to use that info..
And ya know, I decided you're not enablers because this is an addiction of the poultry variety and you all are just helping me yup yup
I run over 70% if air cells are on track
I wish I had air cell pics! This is my first hatch and when my eggs came I candled them but had no idea what the heck I was looking at/for. Now I know : (
I should've realized then (and will now) that the reason I couldn't determine an air cell was because more than half the eggs were clears and many very, very porous. They were like baby Swiss eggs. Ugh.
Anyway, so I later learned to actually see the egg cells but as they were very super small (like day 7 small) by day 14, due to me having gone according to the hovabator manual for humidity, I dropped humidity to like 25% for a few days until lockdown. Then I haven't dared to let it above 65% for fear of them drowning in their tiny air cells. Boo : (
I'm such a newbie.
your doing good, you are learning! we all go through that!
I am trying to keep adding good air cell images and candle images to this page under the candling section, its in a spoiler says candles or something
I havent been doing so well the past two weeks, praying I can soon enough!!!