BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › Sick, very skinny, green watery poops!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sick, very skinny, green watery poops!

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I need advice!!!

I have an 8-10 month old brahma chick that I hatched last fall. It's winter here and it's the time of year I usually do a general dewormer b/c we have cocci in the soil and I try to be proactive.

So as I was going out to check them all out, on a warmer day than usual, I noticed my brahma, who should be the biggest girl, was very thin on the breast bone. I immediately brought her inside, and began a water dewormer of corid. And I wanted to monitor her eating. It's been a week now, and she has become worse. Her appetite is minimal, if at all, and I'm syringe feeding her water.

I read up that after dewormer, if they are weak their whole GI tract gets bacterial, or shocky.

I've fed her, or tried, yogurt, cottage cheese, warm/wet mesh, corn meal and oatmeal.

My worry now is she isn't going to make it and I'm running out of ideas. We have no vets around here that work on chickens and my vet is about as knowledgable as his backyard flock gives him experience. IF anything, I give him advice tongue.png

So, It's been a week and I see no improvement, if anything a weaker, more listless bird, and her poops are obviously green, watery, and staining the shavings. Should I try antibiotics? I can get some things from my work (at a vet) today if I Need to.

She definitely, other than cottage cheese, does not want mushy food. She appears to gravitate towards the crunchy seeds. (Corn meal, bird seed, sunflower seeds, etc)

I'm gonna pick up some Gatorade today or see if the local store has electrolytes.

All, my other chickens seems fine, and no issues with their corid dewormer this week. I"m going to follow up with a round worm dewormer next week as they still aren't laying very regularly. So I'll take advantage of the egg whiteout.

Let me stress, it hasn't been the coldest winter, and there is always pellets and water out there, that I refill every day. So, other than worms I can't find a thing that would stress her out to this extent.

Thanks

Dani in Main:P
~Dani in Maine
Living with a Boxer, two APBTs, 3 Red Stars, 2 Barred Rocks, two Cochins and my very patient husband!
Reply
~Dani in Maine
Living with a Boxer, two APBTs, 3 Red Stars, 2 Barred Rocks, two Cochins and my very patient husband!
Reply
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynne1123 View Post

I need advice!!!

I have an 8-10 month old brahma chick that I hatched last fall. It's winter here and it's the time of year I usually do a general dewormer b/c we have cocci in the soil and I try to be proactive.

So as I was going out to check them all out, on a warmer day than usual, I noticed my brahma, who should be the biggest girl, was very thin on the breast bone. I immediately brought her inside, and began a water dewormer of corid. And I wanted to monitor her eating. It's been a week now, and she has become worse. Her appetite is minimal, if at all, and I'm syringe feeding her water.

I read up that after dewormer, if they are weak their whole GI tract gets bacterial, or shocky.

I've fed her, or tried, yogurt, cottage cheese, warm/wet mesh, corn meal and oatmeal.

My worry now is she isn't going to make it and I'm running out of ideas. We have no vets around here that work on chickens and my vet is about as knowledgable as his backyard flock gives him experience. IF anything, I give him advice tongue.png

So, It's been a week and I see no improvement, if anything a weaker, more listless bird, and her poops are obviously green, watery, and staining the shavings. Should I try antibiotics? I can get some things from my work (at a vet) today if I Need to.

She definitely, other than cottage cheese, does not want mushy food. She appears to gravitate towards the crunchy seeds. (Corn meal, bird seed, sunflower seeds, etc)

I'm gonna pick up some Gatorade today or see if the local store has electrolytes.

All, my other chickens seems fine, and no issues with their corid dewormer this week. I"m going to follow up with a round worm dewormer next week as they still aren't laying very regularly. So I'll take advantage of the egg whiteout.

Let me stress, it hasn't been the coldest winter, and there is always pellets and water out there, that I refill every day. So, other than worms I can't find a thing that would stress her out to this extent.

Thanks

Dani in Main:P

Sorry you are having trouble.

It could be worms, but I'm sorry CORID is not a dewormer. You would want to use a dewormer like Valbazen  1/2 ml orally and then repeated in 10 days for each chicken or Fenbendazole (Safeguard, Panacur)  at 1/4 ml per pound for 5 days in a row.

Green poo can be an indication of malnutrition(weight loss) due to worms, a bacterial infection or some other illness/disease. If it is a bacterial infection you would need to treat with antibiotics.

 

 

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/poultry/coccidiosis/overview_of_coccidiosis_in_poultry.html

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/11/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-worming.html

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
https://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/worming-chickens/

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
I'm sorry I should have clarified. I used Corid for coccidia and fenbendazole for round worms. Just I case. But her appetite continues to decline despite both treatments being last Sunday.

I looked into clostridium treatments and will try that last hoorah.
~Dani in Maine
Living with a Boxer, two APBTs, 3 Red Stars, 2 Barred Rocks, two Cochins and my very patient husband!
Reply
~Dani in Maine
Living with a Boxer, two APBTs, 3 Red Stars, 2 Barred Rocks, two Cochins and my very patient husband!
Reply
post #4 of 8
I have a hen in about the same boat. Can you keep me updated as to what you are doing and how it turns out? Thanks and sorry you have to go through this.
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynne1123 View Post

I'm sorry I should have clarified. I used Corid for coccidia and fenbendazole for round worms. Just I case. But her appetite continues to decline despite both treatments being last Sunday.

I looked into clostridium treatments and will try that last hoorah.

I'm so sorry :hugsI don't think at this point it would hurt.

Clostridium is associated with enteritis.

This fellow BYC member just went through something similar here is the link to the thread.  On post# 21 of the thread she states "Harriet is on 1.5 ml of Trimethoprim (antibiotic) every 12 hrs and .9 ml of Reglan (Pro-motility) every 8 hrs." She did take her girl to the vet and had her treated, last update she was improving. You could pm her to see if she has any insight.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1084062/hen-not-acting-normal-wet-poop-not-hanging-with-the-rest-of-the-girls

 

If you haven't seen these, looks like they also mention antibiotics that can be effective.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/101/necrotic-enteritis/

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/184/necrotic-enteritis/

post #6 of 8
I have a silkie chick that just died from wry neck and another about to what should I do I am giving them electrolytes and vitamin D adn E I don't know what else to do
post #7 of 8
My silkies are dying from what i think is wry neck what do I do
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkie2222 View Post

I have a silkie chick that just died from wry neck and another about to what should I do I am giving them electrolytes and vitamin D adn E I don't know what else to do

Quote:

Originally Posted by silkie2222 View Post

My silkies are dying from what i think is wry neck what do I do

 Welcome to BYC!

I see you started your own thread, so any future answers to you question will be posted on that.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1085665/sick-silkie-i-think-it-is-wry-neck

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › Sick, very skinny, green watery poops!