BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › Are antibiotics recommended after a traumatic double bubmlefoot surgery?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are antibiotics recommended after a traumatic double bubmlefoot surgery?

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 

I have a 1 year old hen, Uhura, who seemed to me completely normal until yesterday afternoon when I noticed one of her feet was a bit swollen. She had not been limping at all and was laying every day as normal. She is not a friendly chicken and is the very lowest on the pecking order so I don't frequently interact with her or hold her. I waited until later that night when she was roosting to inspect her foot and found a very clear and quite huge bubmlefoot. Swollen and really hot. 

 

This morning I separated her from the group before they woke up and set in with my husband for surgery. I watched several youtube vids and read a bunch of posts. I felt pretty confident (although anxious) going in. As I was soaking her foot waiting to start, I noticed a fair but of swelling in the other foot as well and found a second bumblefoot there. 

 

The first surgery went OK. But this bumblefoot was bigger than anything I had seen in the videos and there were 3 solid kernels, each the size of a lima bean in it. But in general it went just as the video demonstrated. But the second one was not so easy. It was a much smaller bumblefoot and it bled a lot. I could not locate any true kernel aside from the one that came out with the back of the black scab. The more I pushed and prodded the more blood there was. I figured I was poking flesh and gave up. The videos I watched made it seem like the chicken would stay calm but my Uhura was really fighting me the whole time and very stressed out. I can't say I blame her, it seemed awful what I was doing. My husband was super stressed along with her!

 

I got her all bandaged up with vertrycin and antibiotic ointment. I wrapped it extremely thoroughly as it's raining here and I understand that I need to keep it as sanitary as possible. I also sequestered her in an infirmary cell with food and water hoping she'd get some rest. 

 

My questions is, should I dose her with some oxytetracycline? Most of the forums say it's not necessary, but what about after a double bumblefoot? Plus, I never found the big kernel of the second one. Is it possible there wasn't one formed yet? I'm pretty stressed about it. I have a 50mg per ml injectable oxytetracycline if necessary, but I hate to have to keep her sequestered during the egg lay-off period since she has the same egg color as several of my other hens.

 

Thank you so much for any help or advice! I'm always grateful and hopefully soon I'll start to know enough to be a contributor instead of always needing help!

 

Many Blessings,

IronEagle

post #2 of 5

Greetings. As long as you've wrapped/bandaged the feet as best you can to try and keep her from loading up the empty kernel pockets with debris, she should be fine. No antibiotics should be necessary and she should heal up just fine over the coming weeks. I'd just keep an eye on her dressings each day and when they get so tattered that they aren't providing protection, grab her up and replace them. Shouldn't need to do that more than a time or two either. They are remarkable animals and heal very well and quickly unless affected by some other issue preventing it. Good job and good luck!

I used FF: http://goo.gl/IT5HSh Details Here: http://goo.gl/dCdw6h  Start Easy video: http://goo.gl/QP5rSx

DLM/deep litter method: http://goo.gl/YHg2p0 My old CO coop(s): http://goo.gl/v9qdFa  URL shortener:  https://goo.gl/

I owned: BOs/BAs/New Hampshires/Delawares/White Wyandottes when in CO.

Reply

I used FF: http://goo.gl/IT5HSh Details Here: http://goo.gl/dCdw6h  Start Easy video: http://goo.gl/QP5rSx

DLM/deep litter method: http://goo.gl/YHg2p0 My old CO coop(s): http://goo.gl/v9qdFa  URL shortener:  https://goo.gl/

I owned: BOs/BAs/New Hampshires/Delawares/White Wyandottes when in CO.

Reply
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latestarter View Post
 

Greetings. As long as you've wrapped/bandaged the feet as best you can to try and keep her from loading up the empty kernel pockets with debris, she should be fine. No antibiotics should be necessary and she should heal up just fine over the coming weeks. I'd just keep an eye on her dressings each day and when they get so tattered that they aren't providing protection, grab her up and replace them. Shouldn't need to do that more than a time or two either. They are remarkable animals and heal very well and quickly unless affected by some other issue preventing it. Good job and good luck!

Thanks Latestarter!

 

That is exactly what I needed to hear! I guess shortly after performing the surgery (a bit shell shocked) I was really second guessing. But a few minutes ago I went to check on her and she was standing in her little cell with the "pleassse let me out!" look on her face. She'd eaten all of her food. They really are remarkably resilient.

 

I'll keep the bandages clean and stay the course.

 

Thanks and have a great weekend!

IE

post #4 of 5

By all means, after a day or two, LET HER OUT! there's really no need to keep her confined either. Let her rejoin the flock. less stress on all and she'll actually heal faster.

I used FF: http://goo.gl/IT5HSh Details Here: http://goo.gl/dCdw6h  Start Easy video: http://goo.gl/QP5rSx

DLM/deep litter method: http://goo.gl/YHg2p0 My old CO coop(s): http://goo.gl/v9qdFa  URL shortener:  https://goo.gl/

I owned: BOs/BAs/New Hampshires/Delawares/White Wyandottes when in CO.

Reply

I used FF: http://goo.gl/IT5HSh Details Here: http://goo.gl/dCdw6h  Start Easy video: http://goo.gl/QP5rSx

DLM/deep litter method: http://goo.gl/YHg2p0 My old CO coop(s): http://goo.gl/v9qdFa  URL shortener:  https://goo.gl/

I owned: BOs/BAs/New Hampshires/Delawares/White Wyandottes when in CO.

Reply
post #5 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latestarter View Post
 

By all means, after a day or two, LET HER OUT! there's really no need to keep her confined either. Let her rejoin the flock. less stress on all and she'll actually heal faster.

Ok, good to know. I will see how she's doing in the morning and if all looks well I'll let her out as normal with the rest. 

 

Thanks again!

IE

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › Are antibiotics recommended after a traumatic double bubmlefoot surgery?