Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us.
I also disagree with needing "permission" to use my own property as I see fit... However in subdivisions where houses are built on postage stamp sized lots and your view looking out the window is into your neighbors home, I can see where certain things could affect "neighborly relations". I would also suggest that if you live in a PUD with an HOA that you very carefully read the HOA rules and regs to make sure they don't ban/prohibit livestock etc or that there's nothing in there that could cause legal/monetary issues down the road. As an aside, I hate/despise HOAs as well, but again understand the "need" for them... I just will never buy/live where one exists.
I would suggest that you write the letter of intent something along the lines of simply stating that:
Per city/county regulations and discussion with representatives at City Hall and the Dept of Health you are informing all adjacent neighbors of your intentions:
1. Our family, your neighbor, intend to keep chickens in our fenced/enclosed back yard @ such and such an address in the county of & city of for the purpose of providing more nutritious & healthy eggs and poultry products for family food consumption.
2. Our family will be building an attractive/quality coop & run sufficiently distant from all property lines that no debris would affect any neighbors property, and if visible, not be an eyesore.
3. Our family will be properly dealing with any/all chicken waste products in a manner to eliminate/avoid any noxious odors/debris affecting neighboring property owners.
4. Our family will be keeping all chickens enclosed within the coop until a reasonable hour daily and over night to prevent possible noise issues that might upset neighbors.
5. Our family will be making every effort to prevent or make it difficult to impossible for any chickens to "escape" or leave the property to enter neighboring properties.
6. Our family will remain open to future discussion with you regarding any issue the chickens are causing that may interfere with your enjoyment of your property and associated rights.
7. Neighbor/your signature(s) below indicate that they/you have been notified of my/our intention to own/house chickens on a neighboring property.
Signature _________________________________ Date _______________
Neighbor 1 Address ________________________________ Name__________________ (printed)
Signature ____________________________ Date _______________
Neighbor 2 Address ________________________________ Name__________________ (printed)
Signature _____________________________Date _______________
Best I can do on short notice and without deep thought. Good Luck!
Edited by Latestarter - 3/6/16 at 1:44pm