Ever since I had to deal with a peck and draw blood incident (covered in my earlier postings), my confidence with our chickens has gone way down hill. I went from perhaps handling them too much to barely touching them. Also, to being afraid that I'm going to find an injured hen when I get home from work.
My Mom reassured me that our chickens were not fighting over food. However, I don't think she is a reliable reporter. Because, today when my mom dumped some peas out the window for them (and after the initial feeding frenzy), the dominant hen went after the lowest ranking hen several times- not to kill, more like get out of here now). This is discouraging to me, because I was hoping I could using something like hanging vegetables to help with boredom, but I am afraid that would lead to squabbles.
My questions for you are -
- Does this sound like normal pecking order stuff or like something that could be exacerbated by boredom (I still think our run needs work)?
- If this is normal, do we need to treat them separately?
- Can I try using food as a boredom buster, or would that be a bad idea?
- Would it help to narrow the flock down from three to two (forcing them to hang together for company)?
- Any advice on getting my confidence back? I want to make this work for my parents sake if humanly possible and because I am fond of the chickens.
Edited by SusanD - 3/6/16 at 5:17pm