New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wire floor? - Page 2

post #11 of 19
IMO baby chicks have no business being sold in a pet store or for pets like this...

It's also against Massachusetts law to sell baby chicks as 'pets' until they are 2 months old, and selling them prior to May in quantities less than 24 is also illegal due to the unwanted 'Easter Chick' phenomenon...

*Edit appear the 24 number only applies to ducklings not chicks...

http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/agr/animal-health/poultry/chick-brochure.pdf
Edited by MeepBeep - 3/10/16 at 1:35pm
post #12 of 19
Thread Starter 
Yeah, it is sort of weirx because people will probably only get one as a pet and they really need friends sad.png

But then again people could get pets from the feed stores too. Although at least with those the minimum is usually 3 or 6. Seems they have too few chicks to have a minimum sad.png

Oh and also, sorry, I should have clarified! I'm in Massachusetts but this friend is in California
Kelsey. Massachusetts. Have a 4 year old Black Lab/Great Pyrenees mix named Gator, a 6 year old kitty named Luna, and 8 hens hatched October 26th, 2015. 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers on about 3 acres. 5 more chicks coming this October
Reply
Kelsey. Massachusetts. Have a 4 year old Black Lab/Great Pyrenees mix named Gator, a 6 year old kitty named Luna, and 8 hens hatched October 26th, 2015. 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers on about 3 acres. 5 more chicks coming this October
Reply
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDOGG331 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenCanoe View Post

It looks fine to me. More concerning than the wire floor is the newspaper. That's too slick for baby chicks and can cause splay leg and slipped tendons.

Ahhh okay. So the wire floor isn't an issue? I thought I had read it can hurt their feet or something. Completely forgot about the newspaper I guess cause i was so worried about having a solid floor didn't notice what kind of solid floor aha maybe i will mention something

Some people really freak out, thinking wire floors are bad or hard on their feet. It’s not, many chicks are raised on wire floors all the time without issues.

There is one potential problem though. Some wire has small sharp pips on it. That can hurt their feet. These come from the galvanizing or welding process. The thing is that these are all going to be on the same side so as long as the side the chicks are on is smooth, you don’t have any issues. Not all wire have those either, just some.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

 

"If you make every game a life-and-death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot." — former North Carolina coach Dean Smith

 

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

Reply

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

 

"If you make every game a life-and-death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot." — former North Carolina coach Dean Smith

 

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

Reply
post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post

Some people really freak out, thinking wire floors are bad or hard on their feet. It’s not, many chicks are raised on wire floors all the time without issues.

There is one potential problem though. Some wire has small sharp pips on it. That can hurt their feet. These come from the galvanizing or welding process. The thing is that these are all going to be on the same side so as long as the side the chicks are on is smooth, you don’t have any issues. Not all wire have those either, just some.

Ahhh okay, good to know the wire isn't a problem then! smile.png

Not sure if it has sharp bitd or not
Kelsey. Massachusetts. Have a 4 year old Black Lab/Great Pyrenees mix named Gator, a 6 year old kitty named Luna, and 8 hens hatched October 26th, 2015. 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers on about 3 acres. 5 more chicks coming this October
Reply
Kelsey. Massachusetts. Have a 4 year old Black Lab/Great Pyrenees mix named Gator, a 6 year old kitty named Luna, and 8 hens hatched October 26th, 2015. 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers on about 3 acres. 5 more chicks coming this October
Reply
post #15 of 19
Our brooder is a wired cage with a tray underneath to catch their waste, the babies are doing great they are a week old today. The cage belongs to my hubby's brother who has been raising chickens for 20 or more years
post #16 of 19
I've had wire floor before. It's not a good scene. After my chickens were in the wired floor cages it looked like three feet were being cut up and bloody. I would NOT use wire flooring.
post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaradineCousins View Post

Our brooder is a wired cage with a tray underneath to catch their waste, the babies are doing great they are a week old today. The cage belongs to my hubby's brother who has been raising chickens for 20 or more years

That's awesome they're doing so well! smile.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal sanders View Post

I've had wire floor before. It's not a good scene. After my chickens were in the wired floor cages it looked like three feet were being cut up and bloody. I would NOT use wire flooring.

Yeah I was and still am somewhat worried about that and bumblefoot. Even if wire flooring never caused anyone any issues I still don't think I'd use it just because it also just doesn't seem very comfortable for them even with no foot problems. However unfortunately it's at a small pet store in California so cant fix it sad.png
Kelsey. Massachusetts. Have a 4 year old Black Lab/Great Pyrenees mix named Gator, a 6 year old kitty named Luna, and 8 hens hatched October 26th, 2015. 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers on about 3 acres. 5 more chicks coming this October
Reply
Kelsey. Massachusetts. Have a 4 year old Black Lab/Great Pyrenees mix named Gator, a 6 year old kitty named Luna, and 8 hens hatched October 26th, 2015. 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers on about 3 acres. 5 more chicks coming this October
Reply
post #18 of 19

Just want to be on the record here in saying that I believe that wire floors for any chickens are cruel and dangerous, but especially for delicate baby chick feet. In other words, if you need for someone to say, no, wire floors are not all right, here I am saying it.

 

Why? Baby chick feet are so small they could get caught in the mesh, resulting in injuries, not just to their feet, but the legs and tendons should they be walking and abruptly get snagged, halting forward motion.

 

When I need to put an adult chicken in a wire cage, I lay an old towel down so their toes don't get snagged. And it's just really rough on the foot pads.

 

Of course, anyone who keeps chickens can do whatever they wish. But if you're a person who needs to hear it from others whether something is good or bad, well, you're hearing it.

post #19 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by azygous View Post

Just want to be on the record here in saying that I believe that wire floors for any chickens are cruel and dangerous, but especially for delicate baby chick feet. In other words, if you need for someone to say, no, wire floors are not all right, here I am saying it.

Why? Baby chick feet are so small they could get caught in the mesh, resulting in injuries, not just to their feet, but the legs and tendons should they be walking and abruptly get snagged, halting forward motion.

When I need to put an adult chicken in a wire cage, I lay an old towel down so their toes don't get snagged. And it's just really rough on the foot pads.

Of course, anyone who keeps chickens can do whatever they wish. But if you're a person who needs to hear it from others whether something is good or bad, well, you're hearing it.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions. I was worried they'd get caught or get bumblefoot or something. But then other people said they do fine so then i wasn't sure. Either way, whether or not it causes injuries, it can't be very comfortable and cozy. I just hope for these chicks sake that they get purchased quickly and that they have at least a 2 chick minimum and don't wind up as indoor pets sad.png
Kelsey. Massachusetts. Have a 4 year old Black Lab/Great Pyrenees mix named Gator, a 6 year old kitty named Luna, and 8 hens hatched October 26th, 2015. 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers on about 3 acres. 5 more chicks coming this October
Reply
Kelsey. Massachusetts. Have a 4 year old Black Lab/Great Pyrenees mix named Gator, a 6 year old kitty named Luna, and 8 hens hatched October 26th, 2015. 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers on about 3 acres. 5 more chicks coming this October
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Raising Baby Chicks