BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › Please help, my hen pecked at gentian violet, is this toxic?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please help, my hen pecked at gentian violet, is this toxic?

post #1 of 2
Thread Starter 

I was trying to apply gentian violet on my hen's neck with a cotton swab but she pecked at the swab with a bit of gentian violet on it. I don't think she ingested much, the tip of her beak is blue and I think I saw that her tongue was a bit blue too. Could this be dangerous?? what should I do??

post #2 of 2

We used to use it inside babies' mouths many years ago to treat for thrush or candida infection, a fungal infection. It's not used now since antifungals such as Nystatin have been in use. So I wouldn't worry.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › Please help, my hen pecked at gentian violet, is this toxic?