BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › HELP NEEDED ASAP !!! i think my chicken is egg bound or prolapsing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HELP NEEDED ASAP !!! i think my chicken is egg bound or prolapsing

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

Hi i NEED HELP i have a silver laced wyandotte and she is a few years old i have just went to lock them up for the night and noticed one of then has something really large and red hanging out of her bum at 1st i thought she was laying an egg or trying to but shes bleeding and it looks stuck ( if its and egg) i have a few pics so any help would be great she looks like shes straining im keeping a check on her and shes been the same for over an hour  and theres a liquid discharge and jelly like stuff   :'( xx

 


Edited by Beryls-Gang - 3/16/16 at 4:33pm
post #2 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryls-Gang View Post

Hi i NEED HELP i have a silver laced wyandotte and she is a few years old i have just went to lock them up for the night and noticed one of then has something really large and red hanging out of her bum at 1st i thought she was laying an egg or trying to but shes bleeding and it looks stuck ( if its and egg) i have a few pics so any help would be great she looks like shes straining im keeping a check on her and shes been the same for over an hour  and theres a liquid discharge and jelly like stuff   :'( xx






Looks like a prolapsed vent. If you take your gloved hand you can usually feel an egg up there. What are you feeding her? Hoping for the best! Oh and welcome-byc.gif

Regards,
Leaf
post #3 of 20
I'm no vet but I have seen a lot of tv shows with vets treating this. I haven't seen it in a chicken before but what I suggest is try to get out the egg if you can and either you push back in what's sticking out or you cut off the circulation with a rubber band however like I said I've never seen a chicken have it and you may prefer a vets opinion rather than trying to do it yourself, I hope this helps!
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki017 View Post

I'm no vet but I have seen a lot of tv shows with vets treating this. I haven't seen it in a chicken before but what I suggest is try to get out the egg if you can and either you push back in what's sticking out or you cut off the circulation with a rubber band however like I said I've never seen a chicken have it and you may prefer a vets opinion rather than trying to do it yourself, I hope this helps!

I wouldn't try to cut off any circulation. It may just make the problem worse. Disclaimer: I have no formal veterinary training either. smile.png

Regards,
Leaf
post #5 of 20
Probably not they really only do it if there's no blood flow I think but going to the vet is probably the best idea
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki017 View Post

Probably not they really only do it if there's no blood flow I think but going to the vet is probably the best idea

Unfortunately, many cannot afford or do not think it neccassary to take a chicken to the vet. (Not talking about OP at all, just in general.) But if it can be afforded it may be a possibility. There are few vets who practice anything that has to do with chickens though.

Regards,
Leaf
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafBlade12345 View Post

Unfortunately, many cannot afford or do not think it neccassary to take a chicken to the vet. (Not talking about OP at all, just in general.) But if it can be afforded it may be a possibility. There are few vets who practice anything that has to do with chickens though.

Regards,
Leaf

Your 100% true but they did ask for help and I just stated that a vet is an option if all else fails (:
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki017 View Post

Your 100% true but they did ask for help and I just stated that a vet is an option if all else fails (:

Definitely right. I hope it is an option for OP. smile.png

Regards,
Leaf
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafBlade12345 View Post

Definitely right. I hope it is an option for OP. smile.png

Regards,
Leaf

Same I hope everything goes well
post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys ive seen a few videos of trying to get the egg out but the vent opening is teeny i recon id have a hard job getting it out im keeping a check on her but dnt want to leave her too long im thinking vet is best option but doubt vets have muchto do with chickens my 2 bantams havnt laid eggs for months and only just recently found 1 in the nest so thinking maybe they coming bk into lay since more lighter hours etc ...they get fed layers pellets on a morning and a cpl handfuls of mixed corn in afternoon and some veggies nd a few meal worms each ...my poor jess i hope i can get her put right :-( ...thanks for your info xx
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › HELP NEEDED ASAP !!! i think my chicken is egg bound or prolapsing