Cheryl and I very much enjoyed our day off! We got quite a bit done on the coop. We got the roof framed this morning and got the sheeting, tar paper and the metal roofing on this afternoon. I'm pretty pleased with how it's coming along.
Here is the roof framing. I was not in the original plan but I decided to do the little porch roof to give the coop a little more character and to provide some protection when the weather is bad.
Here you can see the rear ventilation. There will be 13 sq. ft. of permanent ventilation not counting the windows which have another 7.5 sq. ft. The rear opening will be covered with HWC and then with 8x16 soffit vents to keep the rain out. The human door will be solid but I'm making an inner screen door covered with HWC that will provide another 15 sq. ft. when the regular door is open. I've taken the adequate ventilation deal to heart on this coop!!!
Here's the rear vent opening from the inside. I'll make doors that will open upward to cover the opening in case of really bad weather.
Here's the front opening from the inside. I've already installed the HWC on it. Basically the entire upper section of the wall will be open and covered by the porch roof. I'll make some emergency doors for these openings as well.
And here is where we stopped. All the roof sheeting is on and secured and I temporarily installed the windows to try and keep tomorrows rain out as best I can. I'll be running the electrical and then starting to sheet the inside with OSB tomorrow.
I made a little decorative corbel to support the end of the porch roof.
It was a pretty productive day but we are both pooped. Pun intended. Cheryl is back to work tomorrow and I have a lengthy conference call in the morning but I'll be back at it tomorrow afternoon. Thank for looking and let me know what you think.
Edited by TerryH - 3/29/16 at 4:53pm