Originally Posted by chickenshiha
I am getting some coturnix quail and this is the first I am keeping quail and have lots of questions so please answer
1-how many eggs do they lay?
2-is it possible to tell their age or if they are young?
3-can they be free ranged?
4-i know it's rare for them to go broody but can you encourage them to brood?
5-do they get snakes?
6-how long do they live?
1, After they are 7-8 weeks old, they'll lay an egg a day if they have at least 12 hours of light.
2. At 3.5 weeks I think I can tell my brown hens from cocks, but time will tell. You can sex them by watching them when they're 4-6 weeks old.
3. No, best not to, but you can put them in cages with bottoms and move them around.
4. You can try, but you're most often better off incubating.
5. Will snakes kill them? Yes, but 1/2" hardware cloth will protect them. Do they have a cosmic understanding of snakes? I don't know; smoke some weed with them and ask. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you're asking.
6. 3-6 years, but they taste best at 6-8 weeks or at 8 months if you want them to lay eggs for you.