New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask a chef - Page 18

post #171 of 1398

How"s about a recipe for real hollandaise?

Well it's, alright now,

I learned my lesson well. See ya,

can't please everyone, so ya,

gotta please yourself.

 

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. ~Warren Bennis~
 

Reply

Well it's, alright now,

I learned my lesson well. See ya,

can't please everyone, so ya,

gotta please yourself.

 

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. ~Warren Bennis~
 

Reply
post #172 of 1398
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by limited25 View Post

Every year about Thanksgiving I purchase 3 free range turkeys from the health food store, cook one, and freeze 2.  Usually end up dicing up all the left overs and freeze it in 2 cup increments to make pot pies and such.  Then I use the bones to make stock, which takes a long time   lol. The stock always turns out good, however, I am getting an over abundance of turkey stock in the freezer - any ideas what I can use all this stock for?  Would really appreciate suggestions.

Also, how long is it good in the freezer?
Linda covered it well. Also soups, there's always a soup that'll call for rich broth. I love soups. They can be meals smile.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenLady2014 View Post

You must share that Jelapeno smoked Gouda bread recipe please

This is my bread plus recipe, very versatile with seasoning and such. Also very simple.

2 cups water 110°
2.25 tsp yeast
2 tsp salt
5ish cups flour

Additional ingredients.
2 or 3 jalepenos depending on the heat you like
1 bunch cilantro finely chopped
Half a small wheel of Gouda shredded. Lol I've never measured it. I bake like a cook not a baker sorry.

Add dry ingredients to mixing bowl. Slowly add water. As the dough is forming I add the cilantro and jalepeno add the remainder of the flour and cheese until a decent ball starts to form, a little sticky is OK, dry is bad.
Remove and knead/shape into a smooth ball. Divide in half and shape into two football shaped logs.
Preheat oven 375°
Place on sheet pans and grease the tops and cover with plastic wrap for roughly 40 minutes. Or until doubled.
You can give them an egg wash for a nice sheen. Mix an egg and just rub the surface of the bread lightly with it.
Cut several slits diagonally for a professional look and to stop the bread from over rising while baking.
The bread is done between 190° and 210°
I don't time this. Again. I'm a cook not a baker and really just have to be hands on with things.
Sprinkle some extra cheese over the top at desired point for crispness.

These added ingredients also don't seem to mess with the breads properties either. I've done rosemary and garlic and an unsuccessful attempt at raisin bread but that was my fault with his same dough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQJOE View Post

How"s about a recipe for real hollandaise?
I make a pretty serious batch of hollandaise every brunch(2 dozenish egg yolks) but by your definition what would a "real" hollandaise sauce be? I'd more than gladly give you my recipe, if it's what your after.

A.
Edited by attimus - 3/31/16 at 11:32pm

live grow and learn.

Reply

live grow and learn.

Reply
post #173 of 1398
Thread Starter 
@Sally Sunshine
Just happened to be able to put one of these together at work today

Beet, Dutch blue cheese, toasted pine nuts, red onion, rosemary vinegrette.
Wish there was a lighter colored beet in there for contrast but it turned out great.
Here's the pork shank it went with

Garlic mash, braised carrots, and the "sauce" over the top was made from the blended drippings, onion carrot and celery.

A.

live grow and learn.

Reply

live grow and learn.

Reply
post #174 of 1398
Quote:


I make a pretty serious batch of hollandaise every brunch(2 dozenish egg yolks) but by your definition what would a "real" hollandaise sauce be? I'd more than gladly give you my recipe, if it's what your after.

A.

I used to make it at a restaurant I worked at many years ago. All I remember is something about lots of yolks, butter, and a double boiler set up.

Well it's, alright now,

I learned my lesson well. See ya,

can't please everyone, so ya,

gotta please yourself.

 

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. ~Warren Bennis~
 

Reply

Well it's, alright now,

I learned my lesson well. See ya,

can't please everyone, so ya,

gotta please yourself.

 

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. ~Warren Bennis~
 

Reply
post #175 of 1398
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQJOE View Post

I used to make it at a restaurant I worked at many years ago. All I remember is something about lots of yolks, butter, and a double boiler set up.
butter and yolks are the gist of it. This batch size is for work

18 egg yolk
2 lb straight butter melted clear(make sure its not a European style blend)
1/2 to 1 tblspoon Dijon(to much and the whole thing will taste like mustard)
The rest is 'to taste'
Dash Tabasco
Dash lemon juice
Salt and pepper
A bit of parsley for some extra color.

Combining components, I don't use a double boiler. Just occasionally move it from the edge of stove to counter. My butter is also melted here and rather hot. The last thing you want to do is add to much heat, you'll just end up with scrambled egg.

So.
whisk egg yolks and Dijon to a good light colored cream, you'll notice the color difference as it starts to thicken up good.
At this point you can't stop whisking for a bit once you start the emulsify ing process, slowly pour butter into your mix as you whisk. If it's to oily looking slow down, to thick get a little water from the bottom of the pan of butter into it. As you add more butter you can slow down whisking a bit but don't stop until it's all Incorporated. I add my seasonings now, and it's ready to serve.

A.

live grow and learn.

Reply

live grow and learn.

Reply
post #176 of 1398
Quote:
Originally Posted by attimus View Post


butter and yolks are the gist of it. This batch size is for work

18 egg yolk
2 lb straight butter melted clear(make sure its not a European style blend)
1/2 to 1 tblspoon Dijon(to much and the whole thing will taste like mustard)
The rest is 'to taste'
Dash Tabasco
Dash lemon juice
Salt and pepper
A bit of parsley for some extra color.

Combining components, I don't use a double boiler. Just occasionally move it from the edge of stove to counter. My butter is also melted here and rather hot. The last thing you want to do is add to much heat, you'll just end up with scrambled egg.

So.
whisk egg yolks and Dijon to a good light colored cream, you'll notice the color difference as it starts to thicken up good.
At this point you can't stop whisking for a bit once you start the emulsify ing process, slowly pour butter into your mix as you whisk. If it's to oily looking slow down, to thick get a little water from the bottom of the pan of butter into it. As you add more butter you can slow down whisking a bit but don't stop until it's all Incorporated. I add my seasonings now, and it's ready to serve.

A.

Thank you. Do you clarify the butter?

Well it's, alright now,

I learned my lesson well. See ya,

can't please everyone, so ya,

gotta please yourself.

 

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. ~Warren Bennis~
 

Reply

Well it's, alright now,

I learned my lesson well. See ya,

can't please everyone, so ya,

gotta please yourself.

 

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. ~Warren Bennis~
 

Reply
post #177 of 1398
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQJOE View Post

Thank you. Do you clarify the butter?
yes but not cooked down to clarify. The liquid in the bottom is what i use to help thin it out. It sits in a pan melting on the line for around 2 hours before I make the hollandaise. Usually the last thing I make before we open.

A.
Edited by attimus - 4/1/16 at 8:42am

live grow and learn.

Reply

live grow and learn.

Reply
post #178 of 1398
Quote:
Originally Posted by attimus View Post


yes but not cooked down to clarify. The liquid in the bottom is what i use to help thin it out. It sits in a pan melting on the line for around 2 hours before I make the hollandaise. Usually the last thing I make before we open.

A.

I just made abatch. Put on some O/E's on muffins, with some steamed asparagus.   Nom Nom!

Well it's, alright now,

I learned my lesson well. See ya,

can't please everyone, so ya,

gotta please yourself.

 

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. ~Warren Bennis~
 

Reply

Well it's, alright now,

I learned my lesson well. See ya,

can't please everyone, so ya,

gotta please yourself.

 

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. ~Warren Bennis~
 

Reply
post #179 of 1398
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQJOE View Post

I just made abatch. Put on some O/E's on muffins, with some steamed asparagus.   Nom Nom!
nice. we do a steak Oscar beni for brunch. Sliced triptip. Asparagus. Crab. We also use the largest English muffins we can find smile.png

A.

live grow and learn.

Reply

live grow and learn.

Reply
post #180 of 1398
Pollo alla diavola







״הרוצה להתעלות אל יחפור בור לחברו אלא יבנה גבעה לעצמו״
"He who want's to be a bigger men, should not dig a hole to his friend, but raise a hill to himself!"
״חז״ל״
״Our old and wוse people״
Reply
״הרוצה להתעלות אל יחפור בור לחברו אלא יבנה גבעה לעצמו״
"He who want's to be a bigger men, should not dig a hole to his friend, but raise a hill to himself!"
״חז״ל״
״Our old and wוse people״
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home