Hello! I am new to ducks and would love some advice.
I just got 3 ducklings 3/24/16, a couple days ago. They are seemingly Khaki Campbells named Einstein, Wishbone, and Quackers. They all seem very happy and healthy, and they look about a couple days old.
So my questions are as following:
1) Where do ducks like to be pet? When petting my little duckos, they will either move or just stare at me like '???'. They usually only shut their eyes when I pet them around the head.
2) What should I look for in a duck coop? I found many online, but I don't know what I should be searching for specifically. I haven't bought one yet, mainly because they are so small and it will be a few weeks before they can go outside.
3) Signs of imprinting? I hang out with Wishbone a lot. I think he/she has imprinted on me. (I am gonna say he) He follows me when I put him on the ground, when laying on my chest he will always lay next to my face, he will nibble on my eyelashes or try to nibble my mouth/teeth, he will peep when I stray too far, and he always jumps into my lap.
4) A good training age? Is a couple days old too early, or is it like a dog where training a puppy is better than training an elder. I am trying to teach them to come when their name is called. So far, I got somewhere with Wishbone. He is learning very well!
5) How can I entertain my ducklings? Will taking them out be enough? Should I give them tiny cat toys? I want them to be very happy and have lots of fun.
6) I have bonded so much with Wishbone, that I kind of want him to be a house duck.. I have researched a ton, but nothing really to help my duck become one - just on other people's ducks.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you so much. - Lolo