So I have a couple of questions about my chicks, and rather than hop onto old threads, I thought I would compile all my questions here.
I am a first time chicken owner and I got both of these chicks at 7 days old at the same time. I have a Silver-laced/pencil-laced Cochin named Peridot, and a White Silkie named Noodles. They are currently living inside the house in a homemade 'brooder' (3x2ft BBQ cardboard box) and I will be transferring them to a backyard coop probably this weekend or next.
^ These are at 6.5 weeks old
v These are at 7.5 weeks old
1) Would anyone be able to guess the gender of my Silkie?
2) While we're at it, can anyone confirm the gender of my Cochin? I'm still leaning towards a pullet.
3) My Silkie doesn't like to be picked up, it will struggle to get out of my hold and flap its wings until it get out of my grasp and get to a point where it will be perched on my hand/arm. I assume it doesn't like its wings being restricted as I pick it up, but why?
4) Both chickens would prefer not to be picked up, but are okay with being perched on hand/arm/shoulder. These chickens have been handled daily and been given treats of bits of Walnuts every so often, so I don't really understand why both of them are still so skiddish about me picking them up? The Cochin isn't as bad of a struggler as my Silkie, but every once in a while it squirms out of my grasp.
5) My Silkie will also sit in my lap with its beak hanging open. I think it may be panting because it's stressed out?
6) I swear these chickens have separation anxiety! If I pick one up, the other will chirp/sqwak loudly if I bring them out of the other's sight. My Cochin will even jump out of the brooder if I carry the Silkie out of its sight.
7) My Cochin is a lot more friendlier than my Silkie. Is it just a Cochin thing? Is it because of the potential of my Silkie being a cockerel? I thought my Silkie would for sure be more friendly and loving because from what I read it's a Silkie thing lol.
I'm not asking everyone to answer every question I have, but if you think you may have an answer to at least one or two of my questions, please comment! I would like as many opinions as possible, too! Thanks :)