New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

VERY Dirty Hens

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Hi all!

Due to some recent rainy weather I have two birds that are horrendously dirty.... :barnie

My EE has a filthy beard and my Polish has a very muddied hairdo. 

I am not sure exactly what to do. Would being muddy be a potential health hazard to them?

If I bathe them I imagine they will just muddy up again + how do you bathe a chicken? Is it necessary? Do I wait for certain weather? How on earth would I clean an EE's beard without drowning the poor thing?

Haha this is almost becoming humorous :P

I am not exactly sure what to do - pictures when the light comes back

 

Thanks,

El

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1006064/a-falconry-thread

This here is my falconry thread, for anyone who may wanna check it out!! :) 

 

 

- Smile, there ain't no harm in happiness. -

- It does the world well. - 

Reply

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1006064/a-falconry-thread

This here is my falconry thread, for anyone who may wanna check it out!! :) 

 

 

- Smile, there ain't no harm in happiness. -

- It does the world well. - 

Reply
post #2 of 8
Let them be they will be fine
post #3 of 8

Usually they can clean themselves up by preening,

the beard and topknot may be dirtier because they can't reach them with their beaks,

but it'll wear off and it won't hurt them to be dirty.

Might bother you, but doesn't bother them at all.

Great article on VENTILATION, one of THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of coop design.

Fantastic treatise to help decide how much SPACE your chickens need.

 

Chicken math is not just 'addition'...but also should include Division, Multiplication and especially Subtraction!!!

 

Quoting centrarchid:

"Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it."

Reply

Great article on VENTILATION, one of THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of coop design.

Fantastic treatise to help decide how much SPACE your chickens need.

 

Chicken math is not just 'addition'...but also should include Division, Multiplication and especially Subtraction!!!

 

Quoting centrarchid:

"Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it."

Reply
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 

The dirt doesn't bother me. I was more worried for their well being, but if you think that it won't effect them I'll leave them be :)

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1006064/a-falconry-thread

This here is my falconry thread, for anyone who may wanna check it out!! :) 

 

 

- Smile, there ain't no harm in happiness. -

- It does the world well. - 

Reply

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1006064/a-falconry-thread

This here is my falconry thread, for anyone who may wanna check it out!! :) 

 

 

- Smile, there ain't no harm in happiness. -

- It does the world well. - 

Reply
post #5 of 8
Ok, so I have the same problem sometimes and this makes me smile because I so get it! The dirt shouldn't hurt them, in my humble opinion, unless it goes to the skin, is around their vents or close to eyes ears. They take dust baths to help prevent mites. If it could get in their eyes or is just a dirty patch or two and I don't want to bathe the whole bird, I keep old towels a spray bottle of water handy, it's also a great time to do the once over whole body and feet check. For the beard spray the cloth not the bird.

When you do decide to bathe them... all of my birds, except one jack wagon huge rooster who hates me, love their baths. They aren't stressed as they soak in a warm tub of water, get soaped, rinsed well (be sure to get all the soap residue off) and warm, not hot, blow-dry then cooped until extra dry and fluffy. Dirty vent, I soak the birds backside for about 10 min try to remove everything and soak some more if needed, keep the water warm (chicken temp is around 40.6 - 43° celcius 105-109° Fahrenheit so a bit warmer than you bath but not hot). As long as you keep them warm and draft free until completely dry you should be good. Another advantage of a good soak is not just getting them used to being handled but also if you need to do a bit of a chicken pedi the area is clean and softer. Someday I'm going to catch heck for it but I'm going to paint toenails on one of my husbands lap girls (they have pet polish) and see who notices. Almost forgot, if you do bathe them for an event ever rub them down with a piece of silk fabric (old silk pillow case even) and they will be extra shiny.

Happy Chickening!
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezs Choukies View Post

Ok, so I have the same problem sometimes and this makes me smile because I so get it! The dirt shouldn't hurt them, in my humble opinion, unless it goes to the skin, is around their vents or close to eyes ears. They take dust baths to help prevent mites. If it could get in their eyes or is just a dirty patch or two and I don't want to bathe the whole bird, I keep old towels a spray bottle of water handy, it's also a great time to do the once over whole body and feet check. For the beard spray the cloth not the bird.

When you do decide to bathe them... all of my birds, except one jack wagon huge rooster who hates me, love their baths. They aren't stressed as they soak in a warm tub of water, get soaped, rinsed well (be sure to get all the soap residue off) and warm, not hot, blow-dry then cooped until extra dry and fluffy. Dirty vent, I soak the birds backside for about 10 min try to remove everything and soak some more if needed, keep the water warm (chicken temp is around 40.6 - 43° celcius 105-109° Fahrenheit so a bit warmer than you bath but not hot). As long as you keep them warm and draft free until completely dry you should be good. Another advantage of a good soak is not just getting them used to being handled but also if you need to do a bit of a chicken pedi the area is clean and softer. Someday I'm going to catch heck for it but I'm going to paint toenails on one of my husbands lap girls (they have pet polish) and see who notices. Almost forgot, if you do bathe them for an event ever rub them down with a piece of silk fabric (old silk pillow case even) and they will be extra shiny.

Happy Chickening!


Thanks SO much for this!!

I rinsed some of the dirt off my polish today, and she's not perfect, but she's not a monstrosity anymore either! :lol:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1006064/a-falconry-thread

This here is my falconry thread, for anyone who may wanna check it out!! :) 

 

 

- Smile, there ain't no harm in happiness. -

- It does the world well. - 

Reply

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1006064/a-falconry-thread

This here is my falconry thread, for anyone who may wanna check it out!! :) 

 

 

- Smile, there ain't no harm in happiness. -

- It does the world well. - 

Reply
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBantyCoop View Post



Thanks SO much for this!!
I rinsed some of the dirt off my polish today, and she's not perfect, but she's not a monstrosity anymore either! lol.png
Awesome, glad it helped. Can't imagine a polish ever being a monstrosity but it did conjure a great image complete with Frankenstein chicken walk in my thoughts!
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezs Choukies View Post



Awesome, glad it helped. Can't imagine a polish ever being a monstrosity but it did conjure a great image complete with Frankenstein chicken walk in my thoughts!


Yeah, it was pretty bad.....

Surprised me too! She's usually quite a spiffy little thing, but she can't preen her own head I guess.

She even had a bald spot showing! Not one of her finest weeks......

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1006064/a-falconry-thread

This here is my falconry thread, for anyone who may wanna check it out!! :) 

 

 

- Smile, there ain't no harm in happiness. -

- It does the world well. - 

Reply

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1006064/a-falconry-thread

This here is my falconry thread, for anyone who may wanna check it out!! :) 

 

 

- Smile, there ain't no harm in happiness. -

- It does the world well. - 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Managing Your Flock