BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Managing Your Flock › Advice for a new Chicken Mom
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice for a new Chicken Mom

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Update- We passed the chick on to another chicken mama!

Hello-

So we have 7 ducks & today while at TSC there was one lonely duckling in the bin I convinced my hubby we needed it. They wouldn't send me home with just one duck. They gave me a Cornish Rock for free, as it was in the pen with the duck.

So I've heard mostly bad things about keeping them as pets. I guess if it's going to die I'll give it to a friend to butcher. Unless someone can help me?

We feed our ducks all together and they only get two scoops a day about 4 cups of feed a day. So the Chicken when full grown would only get fed like them & would have to share. Any advice would be appreciated as I know nothing of chicken rearing. We wouldn't have taken the chicken had I known it was a meat bird and not long living. My kids have named it. Thanks
Edited by DisneyGal25 - 4/2/16 at 9:47am
post #2 of 9
It is possible to keep them alive to adulthood if food is heavily restricted. But most of the time they will have heart or leg problems before then. If you are set on keeping. Keep it on strict diet (hopefully someone else can help with specifics here) and don't give it a roost to prevent leg trouble. hope this helps
post #3 of 9

It is pretty unrealistic to expect a different outcome, I think you need to look at a different solution that food restriction.

Western South Dakota Rancher
Reply
Western South Dakota Rancher
Reply
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. K View Post

It is pretty unrealistic to expect a different outcome, I think you need to look at a different solution that food restriction.

I definitely don't expect a different outcome. I'm hopeful that there is a chance because I've read of people doing it. I'm just asking for advice on it. Thanks for your reply.
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCline View Post

It is possible to keep them alive to adulthood if food is heavily restricted. But most of the time they will have heart or leg problems before then. If you are set on keeping. Keep it on strict diet (hopefully someone else can help with specifics here) and don't give it a roost to prevent leg trouble. hope this helps

Thank you for your reply.
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGal25 View Post

Thank you for your reply.

And for your advice! I figured that was going to be the outcome. Maybe we need to get another.
post #7 of 9

I hope I did not offend you, and I think I did. Some times typed words seem harsher than they are meant.

Western South Dakota Rancher
Reply
Western South Dakota Rancher
Reply
post #8 of 9

You might want to take a gander at some of these threads - some touch on what you are looking for information on:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=cornish+pet

Where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
Reply
Where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
Reply
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Grey Mare View Post

You might want to take a gander at some of these threads - some touch on what you are looking for information on:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=cornish+pet

Thank you! We gave the chick to a friend who raises chickens and has quite a few! I appreciate the help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Managing Your Flock
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Managing Your Flock › Advice for a new Chicken Mom