BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › (SOLVED) Please help, I might have accidentally killed my first batch.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

(SOLVED) Please help, I might have accidentally killed my first batch. - Page 4

Poll Results: Okay or Not?

 
  • 100% (1)
    Okay, no worries.
  • 0% (0)
    Not okay, time to worry.
1 Total Vote  
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestAlice View Post
 

UPDATE: (& QUESTIONS:)
 

First little chickie's out! <3 I'll post pictures when she's fluffy.

 

When can I put her into the brooder? There are still about 15 that have yet to hatch. There are also 2 infertile eggs that I have marked that I used to hold up the thermometer on egg level. Should I take those two out? 

 

When to move chicks is a personal decision. If you have your humidity up in your incubator and it recovers easily and your brooder is set up and warmed at one end, then you should be able to move them when  you are comfortable. Some people wait until the end of the hatch to move chicks. Some wait until they are fluffed up and dry. I move mine as they become active and start running around in the bator.

 

Now, it is true that the sounds of the previously hatched chicks will help motivate the others. I use a video of chicks chirping played by the bator periodically during pipping and constantly if I have a zipper. My bator is also w/in feet of my brooder so they can hear them as well.

 

Whether you take the unviable ones out is your call. As long as they are not stinking or leaking, it doesn't matter.

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply
post #32 of 36
Thread Starter 

UPDATE: (sorry its so late, I've been reaaaaaally busy!!)

 

We got 9 little chickies! Four little Leghorn/Rhode Island reds, and 5 little Ameraucanas.

 

As for the six eggs that didn't hatch...

 

They hatched, but about a full week later. I continued to candle them, and they were still alive. So I decided to see if they would pip. And one did! Though my father was quite concerned, as he pipped at the wrong end. So in his panic, (I did not advise this at all, mind you. I was away that night at my Grandmother's house.) he busted the little baby from his egg. At first, he was terrified. He thought our little baby chicken was deformed. There was something wrong with his footsie...

 

Well, as it turns out, THEY'RE DUCKS. 

 

We were accidentally given 6 little duck eggs that the farmer thought were chickens!! We took care of them like they were chickens, expected chickens, heck, we didn't even do anything that ducks would need in their incubation process. But so far, even through all that- Four of the six have hatched, and the two more have pipped. 

 

I'll take some pictures for you all and post them on my profile page. Sorry for the delay, again!! 
 

Oh, and my S.O. made a post about a question that they had. Please check it out!! 

 

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1097163/is-it-alright-that-my-incubated-ducklings-are-swimming-in-their-water-bowl#post_16866768

 

Thanks everyone!! <3

post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestAlice View Post
 

UPDATE: (sorry its so late, I've been reaaaaaally busy!!)

 

We got 9 little chickies! Four little Leghorn/Rhode Island reds, and 5 little Ameraucanas.

 

As for the six eggs that didn't hatch...

 

They hatched, but about a full week later. I continued to candle them, and they were still alive. So I decided to see if they would pip. And one did! Though my father was quite concerned, as he pipped at the wrong end. So in his panic, (I did not advise this at all, mind you. I was away that night at my Grandmother's house.) he busted the little baby from his egg. At first, he was terrified. He thought our little baby chicken was deformed. There was something wrong with his footsie...

 

Well, as it turns out, THEY'RE DUCKS. 

 

We were accidentally given 6 little duck eggs that the farmer thought were chickens!! We took care of them like they were chickens, expected chickens, heck, we didn't even do anything that ducks would need in their incubation process. But so far, even through all that- Four of the six have hatched, and the two more have pipped. 

 

I'll take some pictures for you all and post them on my profile page. Sorry for the delay, again!! 
 

Oh, and my S.O. made a post about a question that they had. Please check it out!! 

 

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1097163/is-it-alright-that-my-incubated-ducklings-are-swimming-in-their-water-bowl#post_16866768

 

Thanks everyone!! <3

OMG!!! That is so funny!!! So great too!! Congrats!! I'm so happy for you!

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply
post #34 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLynn2374 View Post
 

OMG!!! That is so funny!!! So great too!! Congrats!! I'm so happy for you!

I know, right? The whole house is laughing! 

 

Thanks for all your help! Pictures of the beauties will be up on my profile ^w^)/

post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestAlice View Post

UPDATE: (sorry its so late, I've been reaaaaaally busy!!)

We got 9 little chickies! Four little Leghorn/Rhode Island reds, and 5 little Ameraucanas.

As for the six eggs that didn't hatch...

They hatched, but about a full week later. I continued to candle them, and they were still alive. So I decided to see if they would pip. And one did! Though my father was quite concerned, as he pipped at the wrong end. So in his panic, (I did not advise this at all, mind you. I was away that night at my Grandmother's house.) he busted the little baby from his egg. At first, he was terrified. He thought our little baby chicken was deformed. There was something wrong with his footsie...

Well, as it turns out, THEY'RE DUCKS. 

We were accidentally given 6 little duck eggs that the farmer thought were chickens!! We took care of them like they were chickens, expected chickens, heck, we didn't even do anything that ducks would need in their incubation process. But so far, even through all that- Four of the six have hatched, and the two more have pipped. 

I'll take some pictures for you all and post them on my profile page. Sorry for the delay, again!! 

 

Oh, and my S.O. made a post about a question that they had. Please check it out!! 

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1097163/is-it-alright-that-my-incubated-ducklings-are-swimming-in-their-water-bowl#post_16866768

Thanks everyone!! <3
No way! I was reading your post and I read they hatched a whole week late and I was thinking "no way"! Then when I read they were ducks, I was cracking up!! That must have been quite the shocker!!! Can't wait to see the pictures!
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestAlice View Post
 

UPDATE: (sorry its so late, I've been reaaaaaally busy!!)

 

We got 9 little chickies! Four little Leghorn/Rhode Island reds, and 5 little Ameraucanas.

 

As for the six eggs that didn't hatch...

 

They hatched, but about a full week later. I continued to candle them, and they were still alive. So I decided to see if they would pip. And one did! Though my father was quite concerned, as he pipped at the wrong end. So in his panic, (I did not advise this at all, mind you. I was away that night at my Grandmother's house.) he busted the little baby from his egg. At first, he was terrified. He thought our little baby chicken was deformed. There was something wrong with his footsie...

 

Well, as it turns out, THEY'RE DUCKS. 

 

We were accidentally given 6 little duck eggs that the farmer thought were chickens!! We took care of them like they were chickens, expected chickens, heck, we didn't even do anything that ducks would need in their incubation process. But so far, even through all that- Four of the six have hatched, and the two more have pipped. 

 

I'll take some pictures for you all and post them on my profile page. Sorry for the delay, again!! 
 

Oh, and my S.O. made a post about a question that they had. Please check it out!! 

 

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1097163/is-it-alright-that-my-incubated-ducklings-are-swimming-in-their-water-bowl#post_16866768

 

Thanks everyone!! <3

 

That's so awesome!  What a sweet surprise!  So glad you didn't toss them!!  :D

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyNala97 View Post


No way! I was reading your post and I read they hatched a whole week late and I was thinking "no way"! Then when I read they were ducks, I was cracking up!! That must have been quite the shocker!!! Can't wait to see the pictures!

 

x2! 

Swedish ducks, golden comets and a light brahma roo, large fowl lavender orpingtons, bantam chocolate orpingtons, bantam cochins, silver duckwing OEGBs and Seramas! 
Reply
Swedish ducks, golden comets and a light brahma roo, large fowl lavender orpingtons, bantam chocolate orpingtons, bantam cochins, silver duckwing OEGBs and Seramas! 
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › (SOLVED) Please help, I might have accidentally killed my first batch.