Also what are some ways to keep a chicken cool during the summer?
Thank you! 😉
Alright great to have you joining the BYC flock
Ya that is a good question as heat is a good killer of chickens and shade and cool water is the best way to keep them alive but make sure you do not give them corn in the summer and cook feed in the heat is a good way to go ..
I have also put a floor fan out side for them to cool off and it very much works but it works best if the fan is not directly pointed at the chickens .
The BYC Learning Center is a fine place to read about other was to enhance the chances of survival for your chickens in the heat .
We get our share of very hot and humid weather here in FL. Some of the things I do to help the chickens stay comfortable:
* shade, as much natural and man-made as possible
* extra waterers, sometimes with frozen water bottles inside them
* shallow plastic pan of water for wading in
* cooling treats like melon, grapes, berries etc.
* covered run
* box fan in the coop, not to blow on them but up high to circulate the air
* replace the solid people door and windows with hardware cloth frames
Now that the weather is starting to warm up, you can do a search to find lots of ideas on how to keep chickens cool. For example, some people set up misting systems in the runs.
you can also put out shallow pans of water. Chickens like to stand in them - cools the feet. Cool feet = cooler bird.