Hello, we have a two year old Rhode Island and New Hampshire mix chicken who won't walk around. I noticed yesterday that she was getting picked on by the others and had a bloody comb. She stays crouched all the time and his her eyes half closed with her feathers puffed up. She has her tail drooping, almost touching the ground and kind of looks like a penguin, walking upright. She has diarrhea but it looks like normal poop, just very watery. Any idea what we should do? We recently had a chicken with similar symptoms but she seemed to get better. We have 9 hens and I don't know if she is laying or not. I have separated her from the others for now and she eats and drinks, seemed very interested in the grit and water. Thanks!
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) A Rhode Island Red and New Hampshire mix, two years old and lighter that the others with slightly swollen on belly.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Crouching and walking like a penguin, upright. Doesn't move around much
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
A couple days, probably three.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
In the past, but not at the moment.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
We don't know.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Normal food and water, also some grit.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Runny but mainly normal.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Separated from the others, that's all.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
We don't have a chicken vet nearby, so treating completely ourselves.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
Edited by cberrybog - 4/8/16 at 2:46pm