BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › Prolapse in Indian Runner
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Prolapse in Indian Runner

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I have a prolapsed Indian Runner Duck and need some help. When I found it, I soaked her vent in warm Epsom salt soak for 10 min. Then I wrapped her in a towel and gently pushed the prolapse back in with KY jelly. It stayed in a first but then she pooped and it popped back out. So I tried again with Prep H. It stayed in a little longer but when I checked her again, it had started to come back out. I pushed it a little more up inside and put her down. She pooped again and out it came. I pushed back in one more time and put her in a small cat carrier in the dark. She sounded like she was picking at her feathers.

I have tried calling vets today but we have very few avian vets and no one is working after hours on a weekend that will see her. How can I make sure it stays in? How often should I check her to make sure it hasn't popped back out?

Here are some pics.


Before



After the first time I pushed it in
post #2 of 13

@Orca5094 

@casportpony 

@Eggcessive 

@azhenhouse  

@Miss Lydia

 

I am thinking that @TwoDogFarm  may need to keep a close watch on the duck-girl, and keep replacing the tissue and treating with Preparation H or honey or other suggested material for several hours as (we hope) the swelling of the tissue goes down.

 

I think keeping her in the dark is a good move.  Would a cool compress be of any use?


Edited by Amiga - 4/9/16 at 4:12pm

Please PM me, or use @Amiga in the message if you would like to hear from me soon.  

Reply

Please PM me, or use @Amiga in the message if you would like to hear from me soon.  

Reply
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga View Post
 

@Orca5094 

@casportpony 

@Eggcessive 

@azhenhouse  

@Miss Lydia

 

I am thinking that @TwoDogFarm  may need to keep a close watch on the duck-girl, and keep replacing the tissue and treating with Preparation H or honey or other suggested material for several hours as (we hope) the swelling of the tissue goes down.

 

I think keeping her in the dark is a good move.  Would a cool compress be of any use?

I agree Amiga, Prep H is suppose to help with bringing down swelling so maybe keep using it, but I would check often to make sure it doesn't dry out.

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

http://www.faithpot.com/you-cover-me/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email...

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

http://www.faithpot.com/you-cover-me/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email...

Reply
post #4 of 13
Also, you'd want to soak her in cold water, not warm. Cold helps things contract so they can pull everything back in. And never soak more than just legs/feet in Epsom salt. They can absorb the salt into their bodies through their cloaca, which is not good for them. Same reason you don't want them to ever drink Epsom salt water.

So, I'd suggest a plain cold water soak for awhile as well and see if that helps. How is she doing now?
Edited by Orca5094 - 4/9/16 at 10:22pm
post #5 of 13
@TwoDogFarm My Call duck, Winter, had a prolapsed uterus about 6 months ago due to a soft shell egg. The vet wouldn't open for another two hours. So, for an hour I applied a decent amount of sugar every 15 minutes directly on her uterus. Then put her in a lukewarm bath for the remaining hour. By the time we got to the vet, two hours later, it had completely resolved all on its own. They monitored her 6-8 hours for a relapse and all the while she passed her soft shell egg. I added more calcium to her diet and she hasn't had any problems since. Is your girl of laying age? If so, is she on a layer crumble or pellet?
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaVirginia View Post

@TwoDogFarm My Call duck, Winter, had a prolapsed uterus about 6 months ago due to a soft shell egg. The vet wouldn't open for another two hours. So, for an hour I applied a decent amount of sugar every 15 minutes directly on her uterus. Then put her in a lukewarm bath for the remaining hour. By the time we got to the vet, two hours later, it had completely resolved all on its own. They monitored her 6-8 hours for a relapse and all the while she passed her soft shell egg. I added more calcium to her diet and she hasn't had any problems since. Is your girl of laying age? If so, is she on a layer crumble or pellet?

She is about 10 months old and has been laying for a while now. We do feed her layer pellets and she has oyster shells free choice which I always see her eating.

To be honest she is one of the last I would have expected to have this problem.

My biggest challenge with this is keeping the area moist, as she keeps wanting to dry off as soon as I put anything on the area. She's been in the dark cat carrier for the past 6 hours while ive slept. I just checked in on her and she is still hanging in there. I will be checking the affected area soon.

I've been a little frustrated with these vets around here though. I can't get one to help on the weekend at all. It's like whenever I mention that she's a duck, everyone says they can't help her. I know my regular vet will help but it will probably be tomorrow evening before he will look at her as he is not an avian vet. My problem is I don't know if she can make it that long.

I'm wondering now about the sugar though. When you apply sugar, do you make a kind of solution so it's wet?
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca5094 View Post

Also, you'd want to soak her in cold water, not warm. Cold helps things contract so they can pull everything back in. And never soak more than just legs/feet in Epsom salt. They can absorb the salt into their bodies through their cloaca, which is not good for them. Same reason you don't want them to ever drink Epsom salt water.

So, I'd suggest a plain cold water soak for awhile as well and see if that helps. How is she doing now?

She is hanging in there right now. I can tell she is not feeling well though. I may try soaking her in a cool bath soon. Do you suggest putting Epsom salt in the cool water or just plain water?
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoDogFarm View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca5094 View Post

Also, you'd want to soak her in cold water, not warm. Cold helps things contract so they can pull everything back in. And never soak more than just legs/feet in Epsom salt. They can absorb the salt into their bodies through their cloaca, which is not good for them. Same reason you don't want them to ever drink Epsom salt water.

So, I'd suggest a plain cold water soak for awhile as well and see if that helps. How is she doing now?

She is hanging in there right now. I can tell she is not feeling well though. I may try soaking her in a cool bath soon. Do you suggest putting Epsom salt in the cool water or just plain water?

 

No epsom salt, just plain water. ;) Epsom salt is used for treating wounds or swelling in legs and feet, not for prolapses. 

 

Can you draw her up a nice cool bath and let her hang out in there for awhile? 

post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca5094 View Post

No epsom salt, just plain water. wink.png Epsom salt is used for treating wounds or swelling in legs and feet, not for prolapses. 

Can you draw her up a nice cool bath and let her hang out in there for awhile? 

You said that. Sorry. I missed it. I'll see about doing that. Thanks
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
I checked the vent this morning and it actually looks better than I thought. As of now, for the most part, most of it seems to be retracting inside. I moistened her vent with a little Prep H and put her back in the dark.

Problem is she is extremely nervous being inside the house and by herself this morning. Any suggestions on how to keep her calm so she doesn't stress herself out and make it worse?

She also seems to have an egg low in her vent. I've given her some calcium water this morning but only have given her some and taken it out. I feel like she will spill it if I leave it in right now, as nervous as she is.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ducks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › Prolapse in Indian Runner