BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Raising Baby Chicks › 2 day old chick infested with mites. We treated and the mites are dead but the chick is still so weak?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2 day old chick infested with mites. We treated and the mites are dead but the chick is still so weak?

post #1 of 2
Thread Starter 

We had a chick hatch yesterday morning and noticed that she was very lethargic. When we picked her up, we noticed tiny mites. They were are all over her. We treated the bedding and the mites have died but she is still so weak. She made it through the rest of the day and night even though we thought she was a goner. She is still alive but there is no improvement even a day later. All she does is sleep. She only moves around a tiny bit and only if she is jostled. She wont eat at all and she wont drink unless we use a syringe. Is it normal for her to still be so weak even though the mites are gone? Is there anything we can give her that will help? What about food? How much water should we give her and is there anything we can add to the water to help? Any advice would be great. Thank you

post #2 of 2
If the mites were feeding on the chick, thats most likely why she's lethargic. If you can find NutriDrench at your feed store, that will give her an instant boost in energy and nutrition. Otherwise, I'd make a very wet slurry of water and feed and syringe it to her every couple of hours. She probably wont take much, so do it as often as you can manage. Keep her warm. Hopefully she pulls through fl.gif

Good luck!
Nikki
*C'mon, get flappy!*
Reply
Nikki
*C'mon, get flappy!*
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Raising Baby Chicks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Raising Baby Chicks › 2 day old chick infested with mites. We treated and the mites are dead but the chick is still so weak?