BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Miscellaneous › Other Pets & Livestock › Horse Folks: Tack Question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Horse Folks: Tack Question

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 

This post is sitting in limbo over on BYH. It's been awaiting moderation for hours, so I thought I'd move it over here.

 

Yesterday I was going through on of my sheds and found a bridle that I thought was gone. The last time it was used was several years ago on a mare I was supposed to buy, but didn't get the chance before she was hauled off. Think about it for a second. It's been in a dusty shed with no cleaning or care in all that time. Hanging out with my old, decrepit, synthetic saddle that belongs in the trash. Cleaning isn't going to be a problem. The problem is going to be conditioning this thing so I can use it. I know for a fact it fits my horse and it isn't bad looking. The leather isn't cracked (thankfully), but I still have a problem.

I REALLY don't want to go dump cash on leather conditioner that I may or may not be comfortable putting near my horse's hair and skin. So, what are some good and hopefully cheap alternatives to commercial leather conditioners. If I still have to go and buy a conditioner I will, but I'd like to find something cheaper and most importantly, safe for my horse. If I do have to go buy a conditioner, what's a good brand?

Well, what ya got?

As an aside, what would you do with a snaffle bit you can't use? It's meant for a standard sized horse and my boy doesn't meet that. I have another snaffle I use for him that he likes.

My blog: https://onewitch.wordpress.com/

 

I'm The Odd One.

Reply

My blog: https://onewitch.wordpress.com/

 

I'm The Odd One.

Reply
post #2 of 6
I'm not 100% sure (and haven't researched it) but an idea might be to look into coconut oil. You can buy it at most warehouse type stores for very cheap.

I always used baseball glove conditioning oil. Not sure how cheap it was compared to saddle oil, but I don't remember it being bad and I don't remember needing too much. I felt comfortable using it on my baseball glove which touched my skin and I never had issues.
"If we long for our planet to be important, there is something we can do about it. We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers." ~Carl Sagan

"We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem." ~Douglas Adams
Reply
"If we long for our planet to be important, there is something we can do about it. We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers." ~Carl Sagan

"We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem." ~Douglas Adams
Reply
post #3 of 6

Does your horse have sensitive skin or some sort of allergy?  My go to is the Effax products.  They are specifically made for horse equipment and therefore, safe for your horse.  As for the bit not in use, just keep it, you may need it for another horse someday.  :)

Peaches Lee--Prince of Purrrsia
 

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it" Confucius

Reply

Peaches Lee--Prince of Purrrsia
 

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it" Confucius

Reply
post #4 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickerdoodle13 View Post

I'm not 100% sure (and haven't researched it) but an idea might be to look into coconut oil. You can buy it at most warehouse type stores for very cheap.

I always used baseball glove conditioning oil. Not sure how cheap it was compared to saddle oil, but I don't remember it being bad and I don't remember needing too much. I felt comfortable using it on my baseball glove which touched my skin and I never had issues.

Yeah, coconut oil has been suggested to me. I'm thinking about getting some today if the conditioner is too much. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches Lee View Post
 

Does your horse have sensitive skin or some sort of allergy?  My go to is the Effax products.  They are specifically made for horse equipment and therefore, safe for your horse.  As for the bit not in use, just keep it, you may need it for another horse someday.  :)

He doesn't, thankfully. I'll see if I can find at the feed store. I just found out yesterday that the tack store I used to go to closed in 2012 and there isn't one close enough for me to go to. As for the bit, I think I will keep it. It's not like it's taking up space. :lol: I have 2 other bits I don't use, both curb, that are just hanging out.

My blog: https://onewitch.wordpress.com/

 

I'm The Odd One.

Reply

My blog: https://onewitch.wordpress.com/

 

I'm The Odd One.

Reply
post #5 of 6
I use Picards Antique Leather Dressing on all my old saddles. I still ride one that dates to the 1870s that has been passed down thru the family.
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr1967 View Post

I use Picards Antique Leather Dressing on all my old saddles. I still ride one that dates to the 1870s that has been passed down thru the family.

I'll have to look for that.

My blog: https://onewitch.wordpress.com/

 

I'm The Odd One.

Reply

My blog: https://onewitch.wordpress.com/

 

I'm The Odd One.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Other Pets & Livestock
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Miscellaneous › Other Pets & Livestock › Horse Folks: Tack Question