I love how it looks! So much easier than painting, I will say that much. And cheaper, too! (Especially if you don't have to order hydrated lime online and pay $50 for it, lol!)
I mixed up 2 gallons in a big bucket to make sure there was enough. I used maybe a little over half of it in total for my 8x6 coop. I did everything, even the nesting boxes, inside of the door, all of the ceiling beams, etc. I didn't whitewash the floor because it's linoleum, so no need. It took me, from start to finish, maybe two hours? I lost track of time. I'm in Florida so it probably wasn't the best idea to start in the afternoon with the heat that we have down here, but I just wanted it done so I could move the chicks into their new, upgraded home.
It was super easy to apply. I added in two more cups of lime than recommended because I was concerned that it wasn't thick enough. It didn't get any thicker with more lime, so I just assumed it was supposed to be pretty thin. I used a paint brush and roller to apply the whitewash and found that the brushes work a little better than rolling it since they were a lot of small creases. For actual plywood, it would probably go on easier with a roller, but since a lot of my interior had a strange, porous backing, those areas were a lot harder to apply and made a mess with the roller, but not a huge deal. Because of the weird backing situation, I somehow dripped it on the outside of the coop, but it washes off easily with water and a paper towel.
I had a sinking feeling that maybe I wasn't doing something right when I got done, because it wasn't very white. And it goes on pretty much clear, so I wondered how white could it possibly get. But it did! It takes several hours for full effect, and now it's bright white and I love how it looks. It was nice that I could move in the chickens the same day and not worry about odors or chemicals.
Here are some pictures from this morning. I had to bribe the chickens to stay in by giving them a little oatmeal.
Here's a close-up of the weird material in most of my coop. If you have regular plywood, it's probably a lot easier to apply.