Originally Posted by kie4
Cute chicks @Shezadandy!
Very interesting 50/50 split. Will there be any way of knowing if you have blue x blue genes other than a very blue egg? Would blue x blue genes from pale blue egg layer x pale blue egg layer make a vibrant blue egg layer?
Would be an excellent discovery if the yellow legs of an SBEL X SBEL cross signify double blue.
Our Chuck has slate coloured legs.
Do you know if you have males or females? Is there an age that chicks can go past whereby you can no longer vent sex?
Thanks! These are probably the sweetest chicks I've raised. Maybe it's because they didn't have to go through a mass hatch, sort, get stuck in a little box an endure a trip through the mail-- and they've never been afraid, even reaching from above. Could be too that I talked to them a lot before while they were pipped- might have helped imprint. =) Lucy (who I will never use as a breeder) was a nasty chick to deal with. She still bites. Ethel's kids are all very nice- she's got 6 living. One is a Welsummer cross that's solid black from her former squeeze Hector. (rehomed) The other is with a good friend and is their very very favorite.
No idea yet about males/females- I don't vent sex because I don't know how and done wrong, it can kill them- I'd rather live in suspense! Pretty sure the hatcheries do it right after hatch. My luck, they'll all be girls since I'm trying to breed a rooster replacement.
We won't know what we've got until they lay an egg for us in 5-6 months. We won't have a *guess* at Gus' rooster's blue gene status until his daughters lay. If we get all green eggs- his first batch of chicks were from mos that were brown layers, brown + blue = green. If he only had one copy of it, I'd expect to see half green and half brown layers from his daughters. If there are any brown/white layers, I'll know without question he wasn't a double. Ethel's first chick wasn't Gus' (the other 7 were, just not the one I NEEDED to be his).
I won't know about the replacement rooster for another year plus. He has to grow, breed, have chicks, and the daughters have to lay before we'll know. I guess that's why we spend so much on these birds! =)
In theory the light/pale blue x light/pale blue would give 25% chance of a double blue, 50% chance of making another light blue layer, and 25% white. That's the very high level, no modifiers etc taken into account- still learning about those. Time will tell if the leg color difference gives us any kind of clue or if it's independent!