BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Incubating & Hatching Eggs › ONE LIVE BABY BY ACCIDENT? Help ASAP!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ONE LIVE BABY BY ACCIDENT? Help ASAP!

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I was cracking open all the eggs since they were 26 days overdue and 3/4 were dead - but the last one I half opened and it started bleeding. A pulse?! Baby started kicking and I threw him in the incubator. SOS!



If I try peeling membrane away it bleeds so baby isnt ready yet - do I keep it in the incubator? do I countinually wet the membrane? I feel like I just sentenced this baby to death by playing God too early i'm heartbroken
D'ove "Mama" - Japanese Bantam Hen Blue "Blueberry" - Serama Hen Little Hawk "Buddy" - Serama/Silkie Cockerel Mouse "Lil Mouse" - Serama/Silkie Pullet
Reply
D'ove "Mama" - Japanese Bantam Hen Blue "Blueberry" - Serama Hen Little Hawk "Buddy" - Serama/Silkie Cockerel Mouse "Lil Mouse" - Serama/Silkie Pullet
Reply
post #2 of 7
If your temps have been a little low this can have caused a late hatch hence the 26 days of incubation. These things happen so try not beat your self up about it. As it bled when you cracked it open the chick is not ready yet, it needs to absorb the yolk and all that blood first. Have a read if this article ~ http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Try to keep your humidity up and keep the membrane moist. Good luck with your chick fl.gif
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire coop View Post

If your temps have been a little low this can have caused a late hatch hence the 26 days of incubation. These things happen so try not beat your self up about it. As it bled when you cracked it open the chick is not ready yet, it needs to absorb the yolk and all that blood first. Have a read if this article ~ http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Try to keep your humidity up and keep the membrane moist. Good luck with your chick fl.gif


I figured they would be late if they hatched at all since my large hen kept kicking off my broody around day 17 when the temps were in the low 30s - but day 26 I thought 'shoot...the damage must be done...' Since the baby is still breathing I'm not going to touch anything! I have the Brinsea Advance so I can't change the humidity but every couple of minutes, between 15-30 I open the incubator and wetten up the membrane. I don't think I want to open any more of the shell yet since the baby was bleeding, so I don't think he's ready. I've assisted in another chick hatch about two months ago and there was no blood, maybe a speck, so this little dude needs some more time in his egg. I'm praying he pulls through! :hit

D'ove "Mama" - Japanese Bantam Hen Blue "Blueberry" - Serama Hen Little Hawk "Buddy" - Serama/Silkie Cockerel Mouse "Lil Mouse" - Serama/Silkie Pullet
Reply
D'ove "Mama" - Japanese Bantam Hen Blue "Blueberry" - Serama Hen Little Hawk "Buddy" - Serama/Silkie Cockerel Mouse "Lil Mouse" - Serama/Silkie Pullet
Reply
post #4 of 7
Brinsea incubators are good at holding humidity so if you have both sides of the water well filled it should be high enough in there. Your hen kicking the broody off could have been the cause.

fl.gif he makes it.
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire coop View Post

Brinsea incubators are good at holding humidity so if you have both sides of the water well filled it should be high enough in there. Your hen kicking the broody off could have been the cause.

fl.gif he makes it.

Sadly the poor guy didnt make it... There were definitely tears and a mini funeral and mama's been so sad. darn...
Edited by kherokee - 4/20/16 at 12:21pm
D'ove "Mama" - Japanese Bantam Hen Blue "Blueberry" - Serama Hen Little Hawk "Buddy" - Serama/Silkie Cockerel Mouse "Lil Mouse" - Serama/Silkie Pullet
Reply
D'ove "Mama" - Japanese Bantam Hen Blue "Blueberry" - Serama Hen Little Hawk "Buddy" - Serama/Silkie Cockerel Mouse "Lil Mouse" - Serama/Silkie Pullet
Reply
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kherokee View Post

Sadly the poor guy didnt make it... There were definitely tears and a mini funeral and mama's been so sad. darn...

I'm so sorry he didn't make it hugs.gif
post #7 of 7
I am sorry for your loss. Hope your next hatch goes better
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Incubating & Hatching Eggs
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Incubating & Hatching Eggs › ONE LIVE BABY BY ACCIDENT? Help ASAP!