BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › ducklings of different ages: when can they be together?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ducklings of different ages: when can they be together? - Page 2

post #11 of 16
All of my ducklings are Khaki Cambrells and yes I keep them all in the same brooder now that they have met and all like each other
Edited by ashbash325 - 4/24/16 at 5:31am
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxolotlLove View Post


Right! Sorry that is jujubeans2008. Yea MoonMoon the magpie wink.png I post on to many threads 😉 that's right you've got the Hawaii Queen and Adele, and the J names, with the eversopopular Quackers and Puddles. Yes mine share the same brooder they seem happy. I also got a messed order. They sent me 2 of the 4 I ordered so I had to reorder the other 2

How old are yours? I would be really disappointed if I only got two of four that I ordered! What hatchery did you use?

Burd-Lover through and through

 

I am a Christian. Jesus is awesome!

1 John 5:12 - He who has the Son has life.

Reply

Burd-Lover through and through

 

I am a Christian. Jesus is awesome!

1 John 5:12 - He who has the Son has life.

Reply
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbash325 View Post

All of my ducklings are Khaki Cambrells and yes I keep them all in the same brooder now that they have met and all like eac h other

They don't pile up on each other when they're sleeping or push the little ones away when they are eating or drinking?

I'm thinking about putting mine together, but I'm not sure because the older ones are so much bigger! But if yours have a greater age difference than mine and are still fine living together maybe it'd be OK. Next week is supposed to be warm here, so maybe they can go out together, and I'll see how they do.

Burd-Lover through and through

 

I am a Christian. Jesus is awesome!

1 John 5:12 - He who has the Son has life.

Reply

Burd-Lover through and through

 

I am a Christian. Jesus is awesome!

1 John 5:12 - He who has the Son has life.

Reply
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckGirl77 View Post

They don't pile up on each other when they're sleeping or push the little ones away when they are eating or drinking?
I'm thinking about putting mine together, but I'm not sure because the older ones are so much bigger! But if yours have a greater age difference than mine and are still fine living together maybe it'd be OK. Next week is supposed to be warm here, so maybe they can go out together, and I'll see how they do.

The older ones push the little ones out of the way a little bit but the babies are persistent and push their way back in. I'm not concerned with the little ones being pushed out of the way because they always have constant access to food and water and it's not like the big ones are eating and drinking 24/7. The only thing I've noticed is the little ones like to always be with the big ones so once they start running the little ones get trampled a bit but they get right back up and run with them. Since they've met they're inseparable and our big ducks are lost without their babies.
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbash325 View Post


The older ones push the little ones out of the way a little bit but the babies are persistent and push their way back in. I'm not concerned with the little ones being pushed out of the way because they always have constant access to food and water and it's not like the big ones are eating and drinking 24/7. The only thing I've noticed is the little ones like to always be with the big ones so once they start running the little ones get trampled a bit but they get right back up and run with them. Since they've met they're inseparable and our big ducks are lost without their babies.

Awww, that's sounds so cute! I think, after hearing your experience, that I'll give them time together as often as possible and when the little ones outgrow their brooder (which will be soon), they can go together. I'm assuming by then the big ones will be used to the little ones enough that they'll won't bite at them. I would put them together now, but Adele is a bully and I have to watch her around the little ones!

Thanks so much for all your help, ashbash325!

Burd-Lover through and through

 

I am a Christian. Jesus is awesome!

1 John 5:12 - He who has the Son has life.

Reply

Burd-Lover through and through

 

I am a Christian. Jesus is awesome!

1 John 5:12 - He who has the Son has life.

Reply
post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 

So, today was warm so they all went out together and then the little ones were moved to the bigger brooder when they went back inside. The problem is I have one older duckling (the KC, Adele) who keeps biting at and chasing the little ones. Then the little ones are scared and go off in a corner separate from all the other ducklings. The other ones are pretty good with the little ducklings, meaning that they hardly bother them at all; but sometimes they bite at them, too. So, my question is, how do you discourage the bigger ones from bothering the smaller ones? I'm trying to tame the bigger ones, too, so I don't want to do something to them that would make them scared of me. What do you guys do?

Burd-Lover through and through

 

I am a Christian. Jesus is awesome!

1 John 5:12 - He who has the Son has life.

Reply

Burd-Lover through and through

 

I am a Christian. Jesus is awesome!

1 John 5:12 - He who has the Son has life.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ducks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › ducklings of different ages: when can they be together?