New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lead paint

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 

I have a serious question. My chickens free range daily and I find them pecking at my potting shed peeling paint. It is an old building and it could be lead paint. I also used an old door when I built their coop and it has chipping paint. I provide lots of ground oyster shells for the girls, but they still like paint chips. I am going to power wash this shed and paint it, but the power washing is going to make chips go everywhere.  Does anyone know if chickens are affected by lead paint?  If so, does it pass through their eggs??  I don't want to make a healthy thing into a health hazard. I sure don't want to give or sell eggs that are tainted. Please... any info??

post #2 of 5

I kept caged birds on a small scale years ago and read when researching NOT to paint anything in their aviary with paint containing lead, as ingestion of the paint can harm or kill the birds.

 

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.” 

 

~ Shel Silverstein
 

Reply

 

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.” 

 

~ Shel Silverstein
 

Reply
post #3 of 5
Not only can lead in paint effect your chickens adversely but it can effect you too in their eggs. If it were me, I would move and confine them in a clean area and scrape the paint off to avoid it going all over. I'd use a shop abc to such up as much as I could of the chips and repaint.
post #4 of 5
Thread Starter 

Lead paint has long been discontinued. The birds all seem fine. I think Home Depot sells kits to test if the paint is lead. I don't understand the attraction because they get feed, corn, shells, bugs, worms, and kitchen scraps. The peeling paint is old, so I don't know if it is lead or not. Either way it can't be good for them.

post #5 of 5

Chickens are attracted to the strangest things. I've seen mine eat polystyrene like it's candy :idunno I think in this case it would be best to be cautious and remove the paint and keep the flock away from it until it's taken care off. 

 

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.” 

 

~ Shel Silverstein
 

Reply

 

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.” 

 

~ Shel Silverstein
 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Managing Your Flock