Since I am new to turkeys I am hoping you all can answer a few question I have.
I received 20 Heritage Turkeys from Meyer's Hatchery on 4/21 (10 Chocolates/10 Bourbon Reds) 2 Chocolate were DOA, 1 Bourbon was very weak and died after 36 hrs.
I am temporarily brooding them in my living room (that's where our heater is located) for the first week or so (2.5ft x 4ft x 2ft high box). I am using the Premier 50 heat plate (love it).
Here are a few pic's (should I make the pictures smaller in the future?
Now for my questions:
They did not take to the turkey starter dry, so I added some of their water to make a slurry. I have keep the dry in the brooder but they are still not interested. When would you take away the wet and make them transition to the dry?
I also have been using the vital pack plus in their water, how long should I do this?
I'm using puppy pads, when would it be safe to add pine shaving?
One chocolate had pasty butt, when I went to clean her up I noticed she has a red growth around her vent. Could it be a prolapsed vent? Do pullets get that? I washed it as best I could then applied honey, now it is crusty but I have left it alone as her vent is clear. I did add some yogurt to one batch of food but have stopped as I read that to much yogurt could cause pasty butt! She is eating and drinking fine. Would you do anything else?
Ok, I better stop as I did not intend to right a book.
Thanks so much for any help you can give.