Hopefully I am not reposting. I wrote last night, but when I clicked post, my computer froze.
My question is about whether to try incubating additional eggs or to buy chicks.
Here is the scenario.
This is the first time incubating eggs since I was a kid. We did it a few times and I have some good memories. Now that I have young kids and a place to keep chickens, I am doing it with them. The kids are the main reason I chose to incubate rather than purchasing chicks.
I ordered eggs online as I could not find locally the type my kids had decided they wanted based on some-surprisingly-childish criteria. Golden Laced Wyandotte is what they chose. I looked into it. They looked like an acceptable choice for what I want and for this area, so I went with it.
The eggs arrived on a Monday, so obviously had set at the post office for an extra day.
With the eggs being dark brown, I had a hard time candling them and ended up having one break open and leak on neighboring eggs.
With the different issues, I wasn't that optimistic about the hatch.
Sunday was day 21. That evening I had two hatch. They were right next to each other and closer to the heat source.
They are both in the brooder and seem to be healthy.
I am leaving the other eggs in the incubator, but am becoming increasingly pessimistic about more hatching. I'm going to give them until Friday.
My goal was to ultimately have about 6 hens and a rooster. I am patient and can wait, but am really uncomfortable with only two chickens.
I can get Silver Laced Wyandottes from a local hatchery. Both chicks and eggs.
Any recommendation on which route to go.