New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Poor hatch in incubator - Page 2

post #11 of 16

Riverman, do you have any idea if airflow can be too strong in the incubator? I am going to put a computer fan in my still air incubator. It has only one tray of about 70 egg capacity. I have seen suggestions to run a computer fan on lower voltage to make it slower. Or is it good as it is?


Edited by Selga - 5/5/16 at 5:36am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selga View Post
 

Riverman, do you have any idea if airflow can be too strong in the incubator? I am going to put a computer fan in my still air incubator. It has only one tray of about 70 egg capacity. I have seen suggestions to run a computer fan on lower voltage to make it slower. Or is it good as it is?


Its according to the fan but for something thats small I would want a gentle air flow....a 12 volt dc fan hooked to a 7.5 or 9volt dc power pack is usually good. Straight 12 volts might be to fast, but I am not seeing your incubator. Don't forget to add a fan guard if the fan is low--close where the chicks are----don't want chicks sticking their head into the fan.


Edited by PD-Riverman - 5/5/16 at 8:25am
post #13 of 16

Thank you for you advice, Riverman. It is approx. 20x18x16" inside. I am going to install the fan at the top where the light bulbs are. It would be out of reach of chicks for sure. Maybe the best way to know is to add the fan and see what airflow is enough to even out the temp in the incubator.

 

I love the look of your incubators - the rounded windows!

 

 


Edited by Selga - 5/5/16 at 11:59am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selga View Post
 

Thank you for you advice, Riverman. It is approx. 20x18x16" inside. I am going to install the fan at the top where the light bulbs are. It would be out of reach of chicks for sure. Maybe the best way to know is to add the fan and see what airflow is enough to even out the temp in the incubator.

 

I love the look of your incubators - the rounded windows!

 

 

 

Thanks. The plywood for both was some I had here a man gave me, plus I had the fans, plus the alum for the turner rack, plus I had the red alum for the hatcher racks, plus, plus---LOL.

 

Your incubator has me wondering the best way to install 1 fan. The deal on the light bulbs is using no more than you need. Even though the thermostat will turn them on and off---to much bulb wattage will cause hot-spots and over run on the temp inside. So if it was mine I would use the smallest wattage bulbs that were needed to get the temp to the desired temp. I had rather the bulbs to burn 20 minutes before it cuts off than to use alot of wattage and they cut off in a few seconds after it cuts on.

 

Have you hatched in it yet? I do not see any vent holes.


Edited by PD-Riverman - 5/5/16 at 12:18pm
post #15 of 16

You are right about the wattage. These bulbs are only 25w each, and one of them is used mainly for warming up after I have opened it. It is on maybe for five or more minutes, then off for a minute depending on room temperature. The temp fluctuation is set to 1°C.

 

The vent holes are there - right under the egg tray in the rear and in front there is a little opening between the incubator and its door - that part below that is not covered with white rubber strip. The third hole is on the top, but it was originally made for a big, tall mercury thermometer - thermostat which I don't use anymore.

 

I bought this incubator some 20 years ago from someone who made them for sale. I have had at least 20 successful hatches there and none failed. These babies hatched there a week ago:

 

post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selga View Post
 

You are right about the wattage. These bulbs are only 25w each, and one of them is used mainly for warming up after I have opened it. It is on maybe for five or more minutes, then off for a minute depending on room temperature. The temp fluctuation is set to 1°C.

 

The vent holes are there - right under the egg tray in the rear and in front there is a little opening between the incubator and its door - that part below that is not covered with white rubber strip. The third hole is on the top, but it was originally made for a big, tall mercury thermometer - thermostat which I don't use anymore.

 

I bought this incubator some 20 years ago from someone who made them for sale. I have had at least 20 successful hatches there and none failed. These babies hatched there a week ago:

 


That's Great!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Incubating & Hatching Eggs