So I currently have a lot of chicks in my house, one week old. It isn't going well to say the least. Even with everyday changes, the basement stinks! So I decided to build an outdoor brooder that can then be used as a silkie coop later on. (Since silkies tend to nest vs roost I don't have to have as tall of a building. I am still working on the coop, but this weekend we built a 3 x 3 brooder with a removable roof. I am going to use blackjack #57 on it tonight and move them out in the next few days with a heat lamp.
Ta-da! The base. (Sorry, had to include this oh so thrilling photo!)
This was my stopping point one evening. I then undid the sides so I could add windows and openings.
I still need to add eye hooks and a rope for the door (to the right of my son). The large door behind him is for cleaning out the box. (Yes, I realize I put it on upside down. If I had done it right the lines would all match on the siding, but at this point I was like "the heck with it!"
On the other side opposite the door and window is a large long screened opening with a board to close it if it is cold. The window next to the door is just a screen in this picture, but I built a window out of plexi and trim.
All in all it took a good 8 hours or so, plus still needs paint and some more trim, but should work well for the intended purpose of getting the babies out of the house before the coop is ready! My plan this week is to add a small run off the door so they can start exploring on nice days.
Edited by jnr005 - 5/2/16 at 5:40am