BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › Call Duck Information Needed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Call Duck Information Needed

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hello everyone. I have hatched a lot of ducks in the past but have been afraid to attempt call ducks as it seems they are hard to hatch but am thinking I want to attempt a hatch. My question is what size egg rails for the auto turner do I need? Will the universal rails that work for chicken eggs and other duck breed eggs work or will I need to put in the quail racks? And any hatching advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #2 of 7
Calls are much more difficult than other breeds to hatch, but they are very much worth it... their eggs will fit in the universal rails, but I don't recommend using an auto turner for them at all... hatch rates will be extremely lower... I think @Lacrystol tapes hers sideways in the turner, but I'm not sure exactly how...

I much prefer hand turning mine at least 3x to 5x per day and I end up with a much better hatch rate that way...
Frawg Muse
Reply
Frawg Muse
Reply
post #3 of 7
Agree with Ravy. Calls do well laying down, mine have made it to day 15 in the upright position after that one by one they died off. I do tape mine to the turner in a laying down position. If you go to my website www.lwbarnhouse.com. Click on the incubating tip tab. Under method two I do have pictures on how mine are taped.
Silkie and Call Duck Lover - just can't have enough..
Reply
Silkie and Call Duck Lover - just can't have enough..
Reply
post #4 of 7
Hi I have a lone surviving Call duckling and I'm worried about it being without other ducklings. Anyone got advice? Do I find another for companionship / socialization ? I have adult Calls that I will eventually introduce to the duckling.
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lereinepoulet View Post

Hi I have a lone surviving Call duckling and I'm worried about it being without other ducklings. Anyone got advice? Do I find another for companionship / socialization ? I have adult Calls that I will eventually introduce to the duckling.

If you can find a buddy or 2 that is definitely your best bet, but you can raise them solo... it's just a bit harder especially if you are integrating them into an existing flock... it would need a lot of social time near the others frequently and can't lose sight of the fact that it is a duck... due to Calls easy ability to imprint this is a challenge, doable but a challenge...
Frawg Muse
Reply
Frawg Muse
Reply
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavynFallen View Post

If you can find a buddy or 2 that is definitely your best bet, but you can raise them solo... it's just a bit harder especially if you are integrating them into an existing flock... it would need a lot of social time near the others frequently and can't lose sight of the fact that it is a duck... due to Calls easy ability to imprint this is a challenge, doable but a challenge...

This is what I suspected. As soon as it can spend time away from the brooder I thought I'd set up a mini coop inside the existing duck enclosure. Sort of how I integrate new chickens into my flock. I'll also put out feelers on local boards for additional ducklings.
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lereinepoulet View Post

This is what I suspected. As soon as it can spend time away from the brooder I thought I'd set up a mini coop inside the existing duck enclosure. Sort of how I integrate new chickens into my flock. I'll also put out feelers on local boards for additional ducklings.

Good idea... the sooner and more they can see and hear each other the better... I've done groups and a couple singletons... I managed to get my longest time singleton to learn a good balance between being duck and being people, but it was a long and involved process... her trying to eat all the other ducks was the biggest obstacle, lol... but she is now a wonderful momma and is top of the entire pecking order... good luck...
Frawg Muse
Reply
Frawg Muse
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ducks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › Call Duck Information Needed