BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance › Sand in the coop...which one should i get?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sand in the coop...which one should i get?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

I have read and read sooo much on what to not get and what to get....i just need some help with which one at lowes i can buy? i do not know of any places to buy sand from plus the way my coop is set up it would just be easier for me to buy bags. soooo if anyone knows for sure which kind i need.. that would be great! i just dont want to get something that will end up hurting my chicky babies :)

post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorileeann80 View Post
 

I have read and read sooo much on what to not get and what to get....i just need some help with which one at lowes i can buy? i do not know of any places to buy sand from plus the way my coop is set up it would just be easier for me to buy bags. soooo if anyone knows for sure which kind i need.. that would be great! i just dont want to get something that will end up hurting my chicky babies :)

You look for bags of Masonry or Construction Sand.

I believe this is what I have seen at Lowes or Home Depot.

I've also heard of people using river sand, but not sure where you would get this in bags.


Edited by lynnehd - 5/6/16 at 9:37pm
post #3 of 7

The sand you want should be course.  I;m not sure what Lowes  sells.   Play sand and masonry sand are medium grit and  less ideal than concrete ingredient course type.    Try a ready mix  cement outfit and buy a few buckets from their pile.

WISHING YOU BEST and :welcome

post #4 of 7

Yes, don't get play sand. It is very fine and will compact down.

 

Is is just to use inside of your coop? I use Stall Dry on the floor of my raised coop, with some sprinkled on the poop board. It really desiccates the poop.

Others use the construction sand mixed with Sweet PDZ, which does the same thing.

post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 

ok thank you both im going to lowes today and ill see if i can get some help there too to make sure i get the right one ;)

post #6 of 7

I've read that putting cinnamon in playbox sand for kiddies keeps the bugs at bay.  Is this something I can do with my chickens sand too ?

 

I tried to search for chickens and cinnamon and all google gave me was recipes :/

post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorileeann80 View Post
 

ok thank you both im going to lowes today and ill see if i can get some help there too to make sure i get the right one ;)

I recall now that I bought two different types of bags (this was home depot but should be similar at Lowes) of sand. One type was the masonry sand, because they didn't have construction sand (masonry sand there is coarser than playsand, but not as 'mixed' as construction sand).

 The other was bags of tiny rocks (can't remember what it was called, but they are almost a coarse sand- pieces smaller than lentils). I mixed them together, and it's worked well.

You could go 50/50 with as many total bags as you need.

Lowes may have other options. If you can't find what you need, take some 5 gal buckets to a yard or construction place that sells in bulk, as suggested.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peekin In View Post
 

I've read that putting cinnamon in playbox sand for kiddies keeps the bugs at bay.  Is this something I can do with my chickens sand too ?

 

I tried to search for chickens and cinnamon and all google gave me was recipes :/

Cinnamon is good for chickens mixed in food, but I've never heard of it mixed in the dust bath. BTW, you don't really need to use playsand for anything with chickens, they are better off dust bathing in the coarser sand or dirt.

Mixing wood ash into the dusting area is helpful to ward off mites.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance › Sand in the coop...which one should i get?