BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › What Breed Or Gender is This? › Feather Wing Sexing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Feather Wing Sexing

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
These two chicks are almost a week old,

Chick 1 (suspected pullet)


Chick 2 (suspected cockerel)

The two more chicks below came from two pure black Sumatras but their wings are black and white, so sadly I got two splash Sumatras instead of blacks unless the white grows out...


Chick 3: (suspected pullet)


Chick 3: (suspected pullet)
D'ove "Mama" - Japanese Bantam Hen Blue "Blueberry" - Serama Hen Little Hawk "Buddy" - Serama/Silkie Cockerel Mouse "Lil Mouse" - Serama/Silkie Pullet
Reply
D'ove "Mama" - Japanese Bantam Hen Blue "Blueberry" - Serama Hen Little Hawk "Buddy" - Serama/Silkie Cockerel Mouse "Lil Mouse" - Serama/Silkie Pullet
Reply
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kherokee View Post

These two chicks are almost a week old,

Chick 1 (suspected pullet)


Chick 2 (suspected cockerel)

The two more chicks below came from two pure black Sumatras but their wings are black and white, so sadly I got two splash Sumatras instead of blacks unless the white grows out...


Chick 3: (suspected pullet)


Chick 3: (suspected pullet)

First of all, most breeds can not be sexed by feathers. It requires a very specific set of genetics. Also, you can not get Splash chicks from Black parents. Just not possible. And those chicks don't look like Sumatra chicks to me.

post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by junebuggena View Post

First of all, most breeds can not be sexed by feathers. It requires a very specific set of genetics. Also, you can not get Splash chicks from Black parents. Just not possible. And those chicks don't look like Sumatra chicks to me.

I may have their shells DNA sexed, but the bottom two are from pure Sumatra parents. The father I just inspected I found had white feathers hiding from plain view so he's a very minimal splash.
D'ove "Mama" - Japanese Bantam Hen Blue "Blueberry" - Serama Hen Little Hawk "Buddy" - Serama/Silkie Cockerel Mouse "Lil Mouse" - Serama/Silkie Pullet
Reply
D'ove "Mama" - Japanese Bantam Hen Blue "Blueberry" - Serama Hen Little Hawk "Buddy" - Serama/Silkie Cockerel Mouse "Lil Mouse" - Serama/Silkie Pullet
Reply
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kherokee View Post


I may have their shells DNA sexed, but the bottom two are from pure Sumatra parents. The father I just inspected I found had white feathers hiding from plain view so he's a very minimal splash.

If the father is black, then he has no dilute gene. He can not be Splash. Splash have two copies of the Blue dilute gene. In cockerels/roosters, it results in a pale grey bird with a darker shade of grey through the hackle, saddle and shoulder feathers. If he just has a few white primary wing feathers, he is extended black. Normally those white feathers will molt out, but occasionally they won't.

Either your Sumatras aren't pure, or you are mistaken about the chicks' parentage.

post #5 of 5

food for thought

                                         Please visit  "Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN"pop.gif

                                                           Movie  reviews    & comments -   welcome                                                 

Reply

                                         Please visit  "Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN"pop.gif

                                                           Movie  reviews    & comments -   welcome                                                 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: What Breed Or Gender is This?
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › What Breed Or Gender is This? › Feather Wing Sexing