BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Turkeys › Nanny turkey
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nanny turkey

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I have two mixed heritage breed hens and one tom. This is their first year to breed and hatch. My first year with turkeys too. The one hen sat on her eggs diligently for the whole time. She laid 16 eggs. The last two weeks the other hen joined her. The other hen never layed any eggs but seemed to be helping out. I was told to just let them be. Out of all the eggs I only have 4 babies alive. The nanny hen was sitting on the eggs and had 3 poults still half way in the shell but dead for whatever reason they didn't make it the rest of the way out. The momma hen moved the new poults to a different nesting box. The nanny hen joined her and is climbing all over the momma. So far I have found a dead poult everyday squished in the spot where the nanny hen was laying. Today I had enough and put her out with the tom because I didn't want to lose any more babies. Now I feel bad. Is that the right thing to do? She is upset. I'm positive none of the eggs/poults are her because I marked them. I'm down to 4 poults from 10 and don't want to lose any more. Thank you for your help!!
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning Farm View Post

I have two mixed heritage breed hens and one tom. This is their first year to breed and hatch. My first year with turkeys too. The one hen sat on her eggs diligently for the whole time. She laid 16 eggs. The last two weeks the other hen joined her. The other hen never layed any eggs but seemed to be helping out. I was told to just let them be. Out of all the eggs I only have 4 babies alive. The nanny hen was sitting on the eggs and had 3 poults still half way in the shell but dead for whatever reason they didn't make it the rest of the way out. The momma hen moved the new poults to a different nesting box. The nanny hen joined her and is climbing all over the momma. So far I have found a dead poult everyday squished in the spot where the nanny hen was laying. Today I had enough and put her out with the tom because I didn't want to lose any more babies. Now I feel bad. Is that the right thing to do? She is upset. I'm positive none of the eggs/poults are her because I marked them. I'm down to 4 poults from 10 and don't want to lose any more. Thank you for your help!!


You should have separated the hens sooner.  Having two hens share the same nest almost always ends badly.

 

Good luck.

Welsummers, mixed breed chickens, Blue Slate turkeys, Sweetgrass turkeys and guineas.

In wonderful Wyoming.

Bob

 

My photo album

Reply

Welsummers, mixed breed chickens, Blue Slate turkeys, Sweetgrass turkeys and guineas.

In wonderful Wyoming.

Bob

 

My photo album

Reply
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2elk View Post
 


You should have separated the hens sooner.  Having two hens share the same nest almost always ends badly.

 

Good luck.


X2, even if you have separate boxes they may swap nest. I have one hen that hatched some babies this week. I went to check on her to see if all the eggs had hatched and  found some of her poults under another hen that is nesting next to her. I had to move her and the babies to a separate pen. I have some 4x8 pens to keep the babies away from the Toms so they don't get squashed.

 

This is where she was originally nesting. Those little guy were just visiting while their mom was out.

 

This is where she is with the babies in a separate box.

 

 

 

These are the pens, she is in one of them right now until the babies get older.

 

post #4 of 8
WOW! so cute to see those little guys under their mom.
well I have two hens and one peacock. I've never had a luck of getting poults from my hens, most of their eggs don't hatch or will die while still developing. or if they did hatch most will die.
I do believe that, Turkey's are dirty and careless sitters. I prefer to hatch their eggs under broody chickens, guineahens.
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwing View Post

WOW! so cute to see those little guys under their mom.
well I have two hens and one peacock. I've never had a luck of getting poults from my hens, most of their eggs don't hatch or will die while still developing. or if they did hatch most will die.
I do believe that, Turkey's are dirty and careless sitters. I prefer to hatch their eggs under broody chickens, guineahens.


I tried the incubator and had poor luck two batches of 18 eggs each.  only 5 and 4 hatched.  This Palm was hand raised so she is very tame. She hatched 17 little one. One of them is a Narragansett form the other hens. The other two hens were raised by a chicken so they are a little wild, wont let me get close to touch them and try to peck me if I try to check the eggs. Here is one with her babies.

 

post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerMac View Post


I tried the incubator and had poor luck two batches of 18 eggs each.  only 5 and 4 hatched.  This Palm was hand raised so she is very tame. She hatched 17 little one. One of them is a Narragansett form the other hens. The other two hens were raised by a chicken so they are a little wild, wont let me get close to touch them and try to peck me if I try to check the eggs. Here is one with her babies.



WoW they are pretty when they are young.my device doesn't allow me to send pictures. well my adult hen Is about 7 years old and my 2nd hen about 4yrs old, 6yrs old peacock. they are too big and healthy. well this year both hens did their breeding thing with one of the BIG tom that likes to hang around my yard. I don't chase him away because I don't have a male turkey.
The hens made their hidden nest in the corner of chicken-hut. About 27 eggs.then the adult hen decided to hatch the eggs. it was soo lovely to watch her on her nest with so many eggs. out of 27 eggs 25 eggs hatched. I wanted her to rear up her poults so she could teach them how to be a turkey-bird. About two weeks I noticed the hen at the field with 6 chicks sad.png
Then suddenly all gone. my chickens, guineas, muscovy, turkey all sleep In the hut surrounded by electronic fence for foxes. I don't know if why

well lucky you with your younglings sad.png
post #7 of 8
false
post #8 of 8
Too bad you lost your poults. I let my hens out with their poults but I watch them while they free range. Then I herd them back to their pens. Once the poults are older and can fly away from danger, then they can free range by themselves.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Turkeys
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Turkeys › Nanny turkey