BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Raising Baby Chicks › Brooder feeder & waterer help PLZ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brooder feeder & waterer help PLZ

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
These girls are now 2 weeks old and in the 300 gallon stock tank brooder. They are spreading wings getting from one side to the other great and to the tops of waterer and feeder though.
They spilled the waterer one morning, I lifted up onto half a cinder block-works great even now. Yesterday amd today though, they knocked the feeder over (I just fully changed litter last night) and there's quite a bit of feed on bottom. Not worried about that as they'll peck majority of it up. How can I lift feeder up enough so it doesn't get knocked over but still they can peck at the feed? I did cinder block there and it's to high, I stacked bricks but think it'll fall over when they try to get feed.
Any ideas? Thanks

new chick mama of 26 chicks: 6 BA, 5 GC, 5 BO, 4 SLW, 3 EE, 3 GLW &

a bunch of 2 legged kiddos along with 2 dogs and 1 turtle

Reply

new chick mama of 26 chicks: 6 BA, 5 GC, 5 BO, 4 SLW, 3 EE, 3 GLW &

a bunch of 2 legged kiddos along with 2 dogs and 1 turtle

Reply
post #2 of 7

Can you hang something?  I hang both the feeder and waterer but I am not using a stock tank.  Not being sure what a stock tank is, maybe you could place a board or something across the top and hang from that.  Mine are in a homemade pen 4 ft high, I put 2x2 boards across the corners and I used chain and S hooks to suspend both the feeder and the waterer.  I use a 2 gallon bucket with nipples in the bottom for the waterer and a poultry feeder for the feed. I loop the chain over the board and use the S hook to attach to the bucket and feeder.   Using the chain and S hooks you can adjust the height as the chicks grow.

This is just one idea, I am sure others will come up other ideas.

post #3 of 7

This will solve the water spilling problem. http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/957712/how-to-hang-a-chick-water-bottle  It's very easy to hang a quart water bottle. Or several, if you have a couple dozen chicks in a 300 gallon tank.

 

I mount my trough feeder on a couple of 2 x 4s and a platform of plywood to give it stability and weight. Just drill holes in the feeder and screw the thing to the plywood.

 

How many chicks do you have? Maybe it's time to move them to their coop and run.

post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy212 View Post

Can you hang something?  I hang both the feeder and waterer but I am not using a stock tank.  Not being sure what a stock tank is, maybe you could place a board or something across the top and hang from that.  Mine are in a homemade pen 4 ft high, I put 2x2 boards across the corners and I used chain and S hooks to suspend both the feeder and the waterer.  I use a 2 gallon bucket with nipples in the bottom for the waterer and a poultry feeder for the feed. I loop the chain over the board and use the S hook to attach to the bucket and feeder.   Using the chain and S hooks you can adjust the height as the chicks grow.
This is just one idea, I am sure others will come up other ideas.
thank you. I don't know how I would hang it but I will have husband try the wood pieces. I can deal with the shavings in waterer but not liking the dumped over feeds.

new chick mama of 26 chicks: 6 BA, 5 GC, 5 BO, 4 SLW, 3 EE, 3 GLW &

a bunch of 2 legged kiddos along with 2 dogs and 1 turtle

Reply

new chick mama of 26 chicks: 6 BA, 5 GC, 5 BO, 4 SLW, 3 EE, 3 GLW &

a bunch of 2 legged kiddos along with 2 dogs and 1 turtle

Reply
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by azygous View Post

This will solve the water spilling problem. http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/957712/how-to-hang-a-chick-water-bottle  It's very easy to hang a quart water bottle. Or several, if you have a couple dozen chicks in a 300 gallon tank.

I mount my trough feeder on a couple of 2 x 4s and a platform of plywood to give it stability and weight. Just drill holes in the feeder and screw the thing to the plywood.

How many chicks do you have? Maybe it's time to move them to their coop and run.
thank you. I wouldn't mind the drilling feeder to wood. That's a good idea, nice pics for the waterer too:)
We have 16 and will have 4 more the 16th. Definitely not time to move over to coop yet. Only 2 weeks old and still chilly.

new chick mama of 26 chicks: 6 BA, 5 GC, 5 BO, 4 SLW, 3 EE, 3 GLW &

a bunch of 2 legged kiddos along with 2 dogs and 1 turtle

Reply

new chick mama of 26 chicks: 6 BA, 5 GC, 5 BO, 4 SLW, 3 EE, 3 GLW &

a bunch of 2 legged kiddos along with 2 dogs and 1 turtle

Reply
post #6 of 7

Chilly? How cold is your chilly? My "chilly" is 40F this morning, and my chicks are precisely two days old and set up in a chick pen in the run under the heating pad system. Yesterday, when I brought the new one-day olds home, they spent most of the day running around exploring their new world. It never got above 70F all day.

 

Chicks are not the delicate, fragile dainties people think them to be. Given the opportunity to adjust to cold ambient temps, as long as they have an adequate heat source to maintain their body heat as it ebbs, they do splendidly.

 

These chicks are the third batch I'm raising outdoors under natural ambient temps. Here's a picture I took yesterday after I installed them in their new home. Take a read of my article on outdoor brooding. It's linked below my post. Chicks raised outdoors require zero acclimatizing to move into their coop since they've been living under those same temperatures from day one. People have great success doing this with either heat lamp or heatig pad as their heat source. Chicks benefit tremendously.

post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by azygous View Post

Chilly? How cold is your chilly? My "chilly" is 40F this morning, and my chicks are precisely two days old and set up in a chick pen in the run under the heating pad system. Yesterday, when I brought the new one-day olds home, they spent most of the day running around exploring their new world. It never got above 70F all day.

Chicks are not the delicate, fragile dainties people think them to be. Given the opportunity to adjust to cold ambient temps, as long as they have an adequate heat source to maintain their body heat as it ebbs, they do splendidly.

These chicks are the third batch I'm raising outdoors under natural ambient temps. Here's a picture I took yesterday after I installed them in their new home. Take a read of my article on outdoor brooding. It's linked below my post. Chicks raised outdoors require zero acclimatizing to move into their coop since they've been living under those same temperatures from day one. People have great success doing this with either heat lamp or heatig pad as their heat source. Chicks benefit tremendously.
just about as chilly as yours and YES I know they aren't dainty especially when we have the cold and heat tolerant chicken breeds...BUT our coop isn't done quite yet, there's no sides, no protection from coyotes or other predators. Once it's done I will begin introducing them outside more each day.

new chick mama of 26 chicks: 6 BA, 5 GC, 5 BO, 4 SLW, 3 EE, 3 GLW &

a bunch of 2 legged kiddos along with 2 dogs and 1 turtle

Reply

new chick mama of 26 chicks: 6 BA, 5 GC, 5 BO, 4 SLW, 3 EE, 3 GLW &

a bunch of 2 legged kiddos along with 2 dogs and 1 turtle

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Raising Baby Chicks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Raising Baby Chicks › Brooder feeder & waterer help PLZ