BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Incubating & Hatching Eggs › My new addition,what can I do to help her
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My new addition,what can I do to help her

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 

I have three eggs in the incubator. This baby started to pip day 19 at 1.pm and hatched today around 4pm. There is something red attached to her vent, what is that? will try to take a picture. It is just sooo cute. I am new to all this, all I have is chickens that I bought when they were 1 week old and this is my first time incubating eggs. We did it for fun after the farmer we buy the eggs told us that some could be fertilized. so we chose some eggs and out of 7 only three looked like got developed. The other two there is no sign of peep or movement but I have not noticed any blood ring. 

 

Any advice to help? 

post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenloves5 View Post
 

I have three eggs in the incubator. This baby started to pip day 19 at 1.pm and hatched today around 4pm. There is something red attached to her vent, what is that? will try to take a picture. It is just sooo cute. I am new to all this, all I have is chickens that I bought when they were 1 week old and this is my first time incubating eggs. We did it for fun after the farmer we buy the eggs told us that some could be fertilized. so we chose some eggs and out of 7 only three looked like got developed. The other two there is no sign of peep or movement but I have not noticed any blood ring. 

 

Any advice to help? 

Without a pic of the actual problem it's hard to tell. I would think what you are seeing is a bit of cord attached to the navel still and not the vent. If so, then it should pull off itself and anything left it would dry up and fall off.  There are worse scenerios, but w/o a visual there's no way to be more accurate.

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 

thank you. From what I see, it is drying up and it looks like it's the cord. The chick is doing well. and just started to move around a little. :love

I could not wait and candled the other eggs but there is neither movement no pip anywhere. I can see the shade of the chick inside though, just no movement. 

 

Do you think they will hatch?

 

Thanks 

post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenloves5 View Post
 

thank you. From what I see, it is drying up and it looks like it's the cord. The chick is doing well. and just started to move around a little. :love

I could not wait and candled the other eggs but there is neither movement no pip anywhere. I can see the shade of the chick inside though, just no movement. 

 

Do you think they will hatch?

 

Thanks 

If you are on day 20 you still have time to see some actions from the others.  I forgot to say, :welcome

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 


nothing hatched from the other eggs. I water till day 26 and opened them. They had all died with yolk partly finished. Something must have gone wrong. the one that hatched is doing wonderful. 

post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenloves5 View Post
 


nothing hatched from the other eggs. I water till day 26 and opened them. They had all died with yolk partly finished. Something must have gone wrong. the one that hatched is doing wonderful. 

Sorry to hear that.

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Incubating & Hatching Eggs
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Incubating & Hatching Eggs › My new addition,what can I do to help her