I'm new to BYC and have just built our first chicken coop. My kids and I would love to share our pictures, videos, chicken coop plans and experience with you, and tell everyone how much fun we had building our coop. Building the coop was so much fun and was an awesome project for the entire family. We bought 12 chickens Isa Browns (Rhode Island Red & White Mix?) and 2 (Pekin) Ducks. I'm not sure how other chicken breeds are but these little guys are very friendly, playful they love to sit on our arms and fingers. I don't think we could have picked a better first breed of chickens for us. I spent a few weeks using a program called Google Sketchup building plans for Our Chicken Coop. Easy to use program plus it's free. Below are the links to the video of Our Chicken Coop and a Dropbox link to my Sketchup file for who ever would like to download it and use it. We would love to hear what everyone thinks of our video and chicken coop design.
Here is a small list of things I will be doing and or changing on the coop in the near future.
1. Changing the chicken wire over to Hardware Cloth. (My initial idea was to electrify the chicken wire at night while the chickens were locked inside the coop to keep predators out)
2. Adding a 25 gallon heated circulating automatic water system for the winter months.
3. Electrical outlets.
4. A sliding lock for the coop door. (As of right now I remove the ramp at night so predators cant walk up the ramp and get to the door and nose it open)
5. Possibly adding a large PVC automatic feeding system.
6. Webcam inside the coop to keep an eye on things.
7. Air ventilation that can be opened and closed as needed during summer and winter.
9. And a name for the chicken coop :)
Here are couple of things added since the video was made
1. Roosting bars inside and out (they love them)
2. A Swing for the chickens to play on (they absolutely love it!!!)
Here are some things I need help with.
1. Grit? What kind? How much? How often? What size? As I said before this is my first time with chickens and I just don't know.
2. Any advice is welcome.
Our Chicken Coop!!! Please Comment. The kids will love the feedback
If your interested in using my plans here are the links:
Google Sketchup: http://www.sketchup.com/
Our Chicken Coop Plans "Dropbox": https://www.dropbox.com/s/7t4amo07lr5bxla/Our%20Chicken%20Coop%20%28Final%29.skp?dl=0
If any of those links do not work feel free to private message me and I will send you a direct link to my Dropbox file or video links.
Thanks again for taking the time to view my post
Please comment and be kind :)
Edited by Rimdozer - 5/15/16 at 9:06am