BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › Broody Muscovies
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Broody Muscovies

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I have two broody muscovies, they started sitting about about a week apart. Scout started brooding in the chicken coop, and Skippy in the duck house. My question is, can I move Scout and her ducklings into the duck house after the hatch? I have a mixed flock, and I'm worried about the other chickens & ducks being aggressive to the ducklings. The duck house has a run attached, the chicken coop does not, but I also wonder if two momma ducks will be happy together....This is my first time with ducks going broody, so any advice would be appreciated!
post #2 of 8

You could try putting the 2 broody muscovies together so that they can bond and share the babies together. Muscovies love to have babies in pairs LOL. How many eggs does each duck have?

 

 

BCP

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomChickaPop View Post

You could try putting the 2 broody muscovies together so that they can bond and share the babies together. Muscovies love to have babies in pairs LOL. How many eggs does each duck have?


BCP
Scout went broody even though I took the eggs every day, she's sitting on 4, some are hers and some are her sister's. Same story with Skippy, broody on like ONE egg, so I let her have some of her sister's as well. Waffles, the third of the sisters, has shown no signs of going broody YET!
Scout has been letting (even encouraging) chickens lay eggs in her nest, so every day I have to take those out, and they even helped her build the nest, bringing her bits of straw and stuff. It's seemed like kind of a group project! smile.png
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverdone View Post


Scout went broody even though I took the eggs every day, she's sitting on 4, some are hers and some are her sister's. Same story with Skippy, broody on like ONE egg, so I let her have some of her sister's as well. Waffles, the third of the sisters, has shown no signs of going broody YET!
Scout has been letting (even encouraging) chickens lay eggs in her nest, so every day I have to take those out, and they even helped her build the nest, bringing her bits of straw and stuff. It's seemed like kind of a group project! smile.png

AWWW so sweet

What i would do is tonight or when it is dark. Move Skippy and put her in the same nest with Scout. In the morning they should be bonded broodies:woot

But sometimes the hen when you move them will try to go back to her old nest spot. if Skippy does that then just keep putting her back with Scout

If you need any more questions ask @Miss Lydia

She knows a TON about muscovies

 

 

BCP

post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
I think that's what I'll do tomorrow night, I prefer they be together, and kind of separate from the rest of the flock. smile.png
Edited by Neverdone - 5/14/16 at 6:26pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverdone View Post

I think that's what I'll do tomorrow night, I prefer they be together, and kind of separate from the rest of the flock. smile.png

Yeah that is best. And the babies will have double protection when they hatch.

I would love to see a pic of Scout and Skippy:D

 

 

BCP

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomChickaPop View Post

Yeah that is best. And the babies will have double protection when they hatch.
I would love to see a pic of Scout and Skippy:D


BCP
I'll get one tomorrow! smile.png
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomChickaPop View Post

Yeah that is best. And the babies will have double protection when they hatch.
I would love to see a pic of Scout and Skippy:D


BCP

hmm.png geez, the pictures won't upload.
Edited by Neverdone - 5/15/16 at 4:57am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ducks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › Broody Muscovies