New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HELP temp was at 82

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
I woke up this morning and discovered my eggs were sitting in 82 degree weather. I went down and the bulb was out. I then opened it and it got down to 65. No telling how long it has been out. Is there still a chance they can make it.
1. Should I increase my temp above 102?
2. What are the chances they will make it?
3. Humidity was also at 82%, is that gonna kill them?
4. Should I rotate my eggs this morning?
5. Also the humidity was at 82 should I rapidly decades it? Is all hope lost?
Edited by LaurynRose - 5/16/16 at 4:02am
post #2 of 5
Not sure how she managed to get this styrafoam dish over her head, but thought it quite cute. Caught her a bit later and took it off
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurynRose View Post

I woke up this morning and discovered my eggs were sitting in 82 degree weather. I went down and the bulb was out. I then opened it and it got down to 65. No telling how long it has been out. Is there still a chance they can make it.
1. Should I increase my temp above 102?
2. What are the chances they will make it?
3. Humidity was also at 82%, is that gonna kill them?
4. Should I rotate my eggs this morning?
5. Also the humidity was at 82 should I rapidly decades it? Is all hope lost?

What day are the eggs on?  A lot will depend on what stage the eggs are on and how long they were at that low temp.

1) No. Raising the temp too high will be much worse that it being too low. Temps at even 104 for extended periods can kill the chicks. Bring the temps back up at a normal rate letting the eggs warm back up naturally.

2) It all depends, but I have heard of people having power outtages for 12-24 hours and the bators getting cool and still have a decent hatch.

3)The humidity going up to 82% won't kill them, the humidity staying at 82% and not letting the egg loose enough moisture will. Humidity is most important as an average and not at any given time. For more you can take a look at this: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com/blog/throw-away-those-incubator-manuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

4) Yes you should continue with normal rotation.

5) I would recommend as long as you aren't in a high altitude removing the water and checking the humidity levels running dry (as long as you are not in lockdown- if you are in lockdown then I wouldn't worry unless you see condensation on the bator,) and monitoring the air cells to know how to adjust. (More on this also in  the link I gave you in #3).

 

Give them 12 hours to warm back up and become active again and give them a quick candle to see if there is still movement so you can put your mind at rest.  Just expect that the hatch may be slightly delayed from the cold period and inactivity of development in the chick for any chicks that do make it.

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply
post #4 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLynn2374 View Post

What day are the eggs on?  A lot will depend on what stage the eggs are on and how long they were at that low temp.
1) No. Raising the temp too high will be much worse that it being too low. Temps at even 104 for extended periods can kill the chicks. Bring the temps back up at a normal rate letting the eggs warm back up naturally.
2) It all depends, but I have heard of people having power outtages for 12-24 hours and the bators getting cool and still have a decent hatch.
3)The humidity going up to 82% won't kill them, the humidity staying at 82% and not letting the egg loose enough moisture will. Humidity is most important as an average and not at any given time. For more you can take a look at this: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com/blog/throw-away-those-incubator-manuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity
4) Yes you should continue with normal rotation.
5) I would recommend as long as you aren't in a high altitude removing the water and checking the humidity levels running dry (as long as you are not in lockdown- if you are in lockdown then I wouldn't worry unless you see condensation on the bator,) and monitoring the air cells to know how to adjust. (More on this also in  the link I gave you in #3).

Give them 12 hours to warm back up and become active again and give them a quick candle to see if there is still movement so you can put your mind at rest.  Just expect that the hatch may be slightly delayed from the cold period and inactivity of development in the chick for any chicks that do make it.
they were in for six days and thank you so so much for all the info are they still okay you think and what kind of movement will I see will it be obviois
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurynRose View Post


they were in for six days and thank you so so much for all the info are they still okay you think and what kind of movement will I see will it be obviois

At six days you want to confirm that the development is still apparent and there are no blood rings. That is a sensative developmental stage, so you'll have to wait and check them to be sure.

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Incubating & Hatching Eggs