BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › New Member Introductions › Getting our first chicks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Getting our first chicks.

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
We have decided to get three chicks, and I was wondering if anybody had any advice that would not be found in any informational books or websites.
post #2 of 9

:welcome  glad you have joined us.

 

My answers:

 

1- Here.  There are so many helpful, experienced folks on BYC and you have come to the right place.  

 

2-If you haven't already done so, visit the Learning Center - there are so many great articles to help you get started.

 

3- Consider 4 or 5 - they are happier in flocks and a couple of extras will buffer any early losses.

 

4- Build your coop/run larger than the minimum if you want happy, healthy hens.

 

5- With a small flock, get your chicks from a source that sexes them to improve the chances of drawing gals and avoiding an unwanted roo.

Attention:  loads of contests to enter, pick your favorites and join the fun: post #1

 

 

Raising Hens in Georgia!  Limited experience, but a lot of opinions.  

Reintegrating a Recovered Hen to a Small Flock:

Don't be Chicken, Even a Cat Can Bake a Gingerbread House

Reply

Attention:  loads of contests to enter, pick your favorites and join the fun: post #1

 

 

Raising Hens in Georgia!  Limited experience, but a lot of opinions.  

Reintegrating a Recovered Hen to a Small Flock:

Don't be Chicken, Even a Cat Can Bake a Gingerbread House

Reply
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflour View Post

welcome-byc.gif   glad you have joined us.

My answers:

1- Here.  There are so many helpful, experienced folks on BYC and you have come to the right place.  

2-If you haven't already done so, visit the Learning Center - there are so many great articles to help you get started.

3- Consider 4 or 5 - they are happier in flocks and a couple of extras will buffer any early losses.

4- Build your coop/run larger than the minimum if you want happy, healthy hens.

5- With a small flock, get your chicks from a source that sexes them to improve the chances of drawing gals and avoiding an unwanted roo.

Thank you so much! I will consider all of your advice. Very helpful.
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflour View Post

welcome-byc.gif   glad you have joined us.

My answers:

1- Here.  There are so many helpful, experienced folks on BYC and you have come to the right place.  

2-If you haven't already done so, visit the Learning Center - there are so many great articles to help you get started.

3- Consider 4 or 5 - they are happier in flocks and a couple of extras will buffer any early losses.

4- Build your coop/run larger than the minimum if you want happy, healthy hens.

5- With a small flock, get your chicks from a source that sexes them to improve the chances of drawing gals and avoiding an unwanted roo.

Thank you so much! I will consider all of the above. Very helpful.
post #5 of 9
Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already from Sunflour so I'll just say hello! :frow

 

All the best

CT

Nairobi, Kenya
Reply
Nairobi, Kenya
Reply
post #6 of 9

Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

I set fire to the rain! Watch it pour as I, touched your face. Well it burn while I cried, because I heard it screaming out your name. And I threw us into flames. I knew that was the last time, the last time...I set fire to the rain! -Adele

 

Look at my flock page! http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bantamfan4lifes-flock

Reply

I set fire to the rain! Watch it pour as I, touched your face. Well it burn while I cried, because I heard it screaming out your name. And I threw us into flames. I knew that was the last time, the last time...I set fire to the rain! -Adele

 

Look at my flock page! http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bantamfan4lifes-flock

Reply
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKen View Post

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already from Sunflour so I'll just say hello! frow.gif


All the best
CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BantamFan4Life View Post

Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! smile.png

Thank you both!
post #8 of 9

Glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock  :weee

                                         Please visit  "Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN"pop.gif

                                                           Movie  reviews    & comments -   welcome                                                 

Reply

                                         Please visit  "Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN"pop.gif

                                                           Movie  reviews    & comments -   welcome                                                 

Reply
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumstick diva View Post

Glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock  wee.gif

Thanks!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: New Member Introductions
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › New Member Introductions › Getting our first chicks.