My favourite thing in the whole world my awesome Harlequin Indian Runner (Biscuits) is sick :(. The majority of the symptoms occurred quite suddenly last night You will see where I list all the symptoms below that I have put brackets on updates on how these things are today as alot have decreased / stopped last night after a few hours. Prior to this she has been extremely healthy, happy, and there have been no changes in her environment, food etc :(
If anyone can please give me any advice on what they think the issue is / how I can help her please let me know. If you need further info or more photos let me know.
Age: 4.5 MONTHS
Breed: INDIAN RUNNER
Your Location- country, state (different areas/climates have different problems)
ANSWER: MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA
What is wrong? What symptoms have you noted? - As much detail as possible please.
- INCREASED STAR GAZING / TWISTING HEAD/ STRETCHING HER NECK OUT EXTREMELTY LONG AND TRYING TO REST HER HEAD ON THINGS SO HER NECK COULD BE ALMOST COMPLETELY STRAIGHT - WAS BIZZARE!! (SEE PHOTO I HAVE POSTED BELOW OF HEAD TWISTING - DONT HAVE ONE OF HER DOING THE STRAIGHT NECK THING SORRY) (She does the head twisting star gazing thing normally a few times a day but was really bad yesterday before all this happened)
- DECREASED APPETITE QUITE SUDDEN BUT WAS STILL DRINKING (Today she has eaten more, but about half what she usually eats)
- SLIGHTLY INCREASED DRINKING BUT WOULD NOT DRINK ALL IN HER BEAK AND THEN JUST SHAKE HER HEAD SPRAYING WATER OUT HER NOSTRILS. SOUNDED LIKE SHE WAS FULL OF WATER
- SUDDEN LOSS OF COORDINATION. COULD STILL STAND BUT WAS HUNCHED NOT STRAIGHT, IF I TOUCHED HER OR SHE TRIED TO WALK SHE WOULD STUMBLE OR FALL. SHE WAS CONSTANTLY SHAKING HER TAIL LEFT AND RIGHT REALLY QUICKLY AND FOR ABOUT 4 HOURS! BUT WASNT RUFFLING FEATHERS AT ALL (This only lasted 10 - 15 minutes last night, I put her on a walk blanket and got her to drink first aid bird food and she got better, she is still a bit uncoordinated today, she is slower / unbalanced a lot)
- LETHARGIC / WEAK / SITTING MORE / STARING INTO THIN AIR ALOT (Still happening today, a lot less than last night but still weak)
- LABOURED BREATHING / PANTING (WITH BEAK SHUT). BODY MOVING UP AND DOWN AND BREATHING VERY VERY FAST (*This happened for 4 hours until she fell asleep last night, she is not doing this at all today)
- SEVERE SHAKING, ALMOST VIBRATING (*This happened for about 2 hours last night then has stopped)
- CLEAR MUCUS OUT EYES (has been going on a few weeks)
- SLIGHTLY RUNNY NOSE, SEEMS TO BE A BIT OF HARD MUCUS IN THE NOSE / STICKY STUFF AROUND HER NOSE
- WHEEZY SOUNDS
- CLEARING THROAT
- BITIER / AGITATED AND STRESSED (slightly less today)
- PERSONALITY CHANGE VERY ANTISOCIAL, SEEMS CONFUSED AND LIKE HER SPACIAL AWARENESS IS OFF, TRIPPING OVER HER FOOD ALOT etc (all still today)
- DILATED PUPILS / I FEEL LIKE LAST NIGHT SHE WAS HAVING A VERY HARD TIME SEEING AT ALL OR HER EYESITE WAS NOT THERE TEMPORARILY (Still slightly seeming to not be able to see like usual)
Full droppings description.- colour, consistency, frequency, offensive smell.
ANSWER: Seem regular colour / consistency but slightly worse smell than usual
Respiratory Changes?- eg. breathing sounds, discharge, laboured breathing, facial swelling
ANSWER: laboured breathing, breathing sounds, clearing of throat, weezing
Condition Changes?- eg. Weight, comb/wattle colour, skin, feathering
Describe your usual worming routine and products. [If none, say so and skip the next 3 worming questions.] Do you have a cycle that you use eg. every 3 months, or every six months?
ANSWER: Have wormed once - at 2 months old
Any other recent medications?- antibiotics, coccidiosis meds, herbal remedies, etc
ANSWER: I had been giving her a slight amount of calcivet vitamin D in her water which I do normally every few weeks as she was deficient when younger, no more than usual. Last night I gave her the First Aid Bird Food when she seemed to be drinking not eating, and today I have put in her water the Vetafarm TRIPLE C SUPPLEMENT
Other changes? – additions to the flock, diet, housing, extreme weather
Photos? – any relevant photos are very helpful
(She does this often, but was increased yesterday)
(These red rug photos are her right now, she has been active today, but now sitting next to me is just resting but with her eyes completely open staring into nothing?!I have never seen her sit in the sleeping position with her beak tucked under her wings with her eyes open?
Edited by briannamcc - 5/23/16 at 12:46am