A few months ago my wife and I decided on chickens ... we looked high and low for a good coop but the largest (but yet smallest) coops were ~$400. Certainly I could build something better ... for a modest $500-600 ?
So, thus began a 6 week project (mostly due to rain - ridiculously large amounts of rain for Texas).
- Run space - 196 sqft
- Run Space minus Coop Space - 148 sqft
- Coop Space - 48 sqft (doesn't include 5 nest boxes at ~12in x 12in)
- Run is 6 feet tall (for the humans)
- Electrical is available to the coop, just not installed yet
- Roof is insulated
- Vinyl is stapled to the floor for easy cleaning
I've attached a few pictures below, but also included a link to the full gallery. I will say, this turned into a much bigger project than I thought it would ... the total cost was probably closer to $1100.
- 2 Blue Wyandotte's
- 3 Rhode Island Red's
- 1 Columbian
- 1 Silkie (Ended up being a Rooster)
Plan to get roughly ~9 more.
Link to full gallery: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/b1hojo22/library/Chicken%20Castle
Edited by afviolettes - 5/25/16 at 9:22pm