Hi there. We're going to begin construction of our coop this weekend. After doing quite a bit of reading here at BYC, looking at other local designs, very "exciting reading" about our zoning laws, and our overall backyard design, this is where we're at.
Would love feedback!
- 5 chicks, this is pretty much the max for our zoning. So "chicken math" is kinda maxed out.
- 68.9 square feet for the run, 15 square feet for the coop itself
- We have 2 dogs and a cat that'll share our backyard with the chickens. We're not intending they'll do regular free range in the yard.
- We have security cameras so I'm pretty aware of what we're looking at predator-wise. Possums, rats, feral/semi-feral cats... pretty much the norm. There are coyote in our neighborhood so the chickens might attract them. But we're also pretty isolated from where they normally hang out with a lot of easy meals between here and there.
- Yes, I'll be using 1/2"x1/2" hardware cloth on the run & coop openings/gaps. Also planning to go 6-8" under the run to discourage digging critters.
Here's where this is going... finishing off this tree tonight, leaving some of the stump for them to play with.
Here's what we're thinking. (Really want to tie directly into that wall, it's been there 50 years and is definitely predator-proof already.)