New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Coop Issue - Page 2

post #11 of 17

Yup! The fertilized eggs will have a little "bull's eye" on the yolk, do some research around here, then when you eat eggs, you can get an idea of what your fertility rate is!

post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrairoo View Post
 

Yup! The fertilized eggs will have a little "bull's eye" on the yolk, do some research around here, then when you eat eggs, you can get an idea of what your fertility rate is!

OK! Thank you so much for all of the help you have given me! I really appreciate it... I think I now have a chicken fever!!!

post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
Does anyone know of a breed of hens that I can get that will overpower my silkie roosters? I want to have them for laying along with my breeding silkies. I do not want to have to have two seperate coops if I don't have to.
post #14 of 17
So as long as I'm gathering eggs every day it doesn't matter???if fertilized or not ???
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesurvival View Post

So as long as I'm gathering eggs every day it doesn't matter???if fertilized or not ???

Correct! You can still eat fertilized eggs as long as you do not let it incubate or let a hen sit on it.
post #16 of 17

Aren't silkie roosters bantam size? He may not be able to hit the mark to fertilize your standard hens anyways. I know my Japanese bantam tries but can't do it. 

 

They may get along fine. How big are your coop and run? 

 

My neighbor keeps silkies mixed with his standards, no problems. He doesn't have any reds but he has wyandottes, americanas, barred rocks, and a few other breeds.

Japanese, OEG, Sebright, Brahmn, d'Uccle, and EE bantams; and RIR, BR, and EEs, Golden Penciled Hamburg, EEs, Anconas, Bielefelders, Wheaten Marans, Speckled Sussex, and a surprise variety of bantams with breeds tbd!

 

16 guineas and 2 turkeys to round out the flock

 

Another victim of poultry math. Aiming for a "designer" flock and egg basket :)

Reply

Japanese, OEG, Sebright, Brahmn, d'Uccle, and EE bantams; and RIR, BR, and EEs, Golden Penciled Hamburg, EEs, Anconas, Bielefelders, Wheaten Marans, Speckled Sussex, and a surprise variety of bantams with breeds tbd!

 

16 guineas and 2 turkeys to round out the flock

 

Another victim of poultry math. Aiming for a "designer" flock and egg basket :)

Reply
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunHwaKwon View Post
 

Aren't silkie roosters bantam size? He may not be able to hit the mark to fertilize your standard hens anyways. I know my Japanese bantam tries but can't do it. 

 

They may get along fine. How big are your coop and run? 

 

My neighbor keeps silkies mixed with his standards, no problems. He doesn't have any reds but he has wyandottes, americanas, barred rocks, and a few other breeds.

I don't know the measurements for my coop, but I do know that it holds up to twelve chickens. I think I am going to get another hybrid and see how it goes. Thanks, and wish me luck!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: