BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Raising Baby Chicks › The door is open, taking bets!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The door is open, taking bets!

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
So they are 6 weeks old and i opened the door to their yard........


Will they come out or will they act like a bunch of chickens, pun intended?


Peeking out......tongue.png

Which one will be the bravest first? Taking bets!

The littlest pullet, the little Amber White, wins the bravest chicken award! lol.png
post #2 of 8

:clap  So I guess she will probably be highest on the pecking order?  That's how it worked out here anyway.  How many chickens do you have?  Also, that is a nice coop!  How big is it?

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by limited25 View Post

clap.gif   So I guess she will probably be highest on the pecking order?  That's how it worked out here anyway.  How many chickens do you have?  Also, that is a nice coop!  How big is it?
She could be the head honcho chicken. She's the first to come to me, the first to break away from the group, definitely the bravest. Makes me laugh because she's the smallest.
I have 20,
4 black ostrolopes (sp?)
3 Amber Whites
3 Easter eggers
4 new Hampshire Reds
2 Rhode Island Reds
2 speckled Sussex
2 golden laced wyondottes (sp?)
My chicken house ( I call it a house because it's more like a small house than a coop) is about 20x37 feet with a feed storage room, a "egg laying room" where the nesting boxes go and a large community room. I was lucky enough to inherit it when we bought the small farm.
post #4 of 8

Sounds like a wonderful flock!  I am jealous!!  We only have 5 RIRs and live on one acre.  

 

Honey, is our lead hen ... she even tried a few things before our rooster did.  She is also our nicest hen.  It would be fun to watch all the different breeds (and colors) of chickens you have running around.  Congratulations to you.

post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by limited25 View Post

Sounds like a wonderful flock!  I am jealous!!  We only have 5 RIRs and live on one acre.  

Honey, is our lead hen ... she even tried a few things before our rooster did.  She is also our nicest hen.  It would be fun to watch all the different breeds (and colors) of chickens you have running around.  Congratulations to you.

Thank you! I am new to chickens and am learning as I go. I did a lot of research before I bought chicks. I am going to double my chickens next year and try some new breeds. I figure if I'm going to do the chicken thing, I may as well mix it up and have fun.
How long have you had chickens?
post #6 of 8
I love the set up!!!
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolivo View Post


Thank you! I am new to chickens and am learning as I go. I did a lot of research before I bought chicks. I am going to double my chickens next year and try some new breeds. I figure if I'm going to do the chicken thing, I may as well mix it up and have fun.
How long have you had chickens?


Have had chickens for a year now, and am hunting for an orpington and a cochin hen to add to the group.  Read they are calm breeds so that is why I selected them.  

post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambled please View Post

I love the set up!!!

Thank you!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Raising Baby Chicks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Raising Baby Chicks › The door is open, taking bets!