BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › General breed discussions & FAQ ›  Bielefelder with Ameraucana crosses?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bielefelder with Ameraucana crosses?

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 

I have a young Bielefelder roo and two Bielefelder hens, but I have other hens as well in my mixed flock. I am wondering what type of eggs would be laid by chicks of Bielefelder roo and Ameraucana hens? My Ameraucana hens are only 15 weeks old, and have not started laying or even exploring nest boxes.

post #2 of 4
I assume you mean Easter Eggers, not True Ameraucanas? If you aren't sure what the difference is, they're Easter Eggers. Easter Eggers are multigenerational hybrids of Ameraucanas and are very frequently mislabeled as the real deal. True Ameraucanas are rare, expensive, and when sold will be prefixed with a color variety, e.g. a "Blue Ameraucana" or a "Wheaten Ameraucana".

About 80% of them can be expected to lay a blue or green egg (the other 20% will produce tan/pink/tinted). The blue egg gene is dominant, so those who lay a colored egg have at least one copy of the gene, but whether they have one or two will be impossible to tell until they are test bred. Those with two copies will produce 100% green egg laying offspring, those with one copy will produce 50% green and 50% brown egg layers. The 20% of Easter Eggers who produce pink/tan/tinted eggs will produce 100% brown/tinted/pink/whatever shade laying offspring when breed with another brown egg layer.

200 something birds. 8 species. ♥ Norman ♥ Norma ♥ Misha ♥ and ♥ Taylor ♥ are my babies.
Visit Norman the Rooster's Thread Here!
Breeding Sex Linked Silkies, Gamefowl, and EEs/OEs. Amateur genetics buff. Caponization practitioner/advocate.
Working at The Poultry Palace in Placerville, CA. Come see us for started pullets, chicks, Bar Ale feed, & more!

Reply

200 something birds. 8 species. ♥ Norman ♥ Norma ♥ Misha ♥ and ♥ Taylor ♥ are my babies.
Visit Norman the Rooster's Thread Here!
Breeding Sex Linked Silkies, Gamefowl, and EEs/OEs. Amateur genetics buff. Caponization practitioner/advocate.
Working at The Poultry Palace in Placerville, CA. Come see us for started pullets, chicks, Bar Ale feed, & more!

Reply
post #3 of 4
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMisha View Post

I assume you mean Easter Eggers, not True Ameraucanas? If you aren't sure what the difference is, they're Easter Eggers. Easter Eggers are multigenerational hybrids of Ameraucanas and are very frequently mislabeled as the real deal. True Ameraucanas are rare, expensive, and when sold will be prefixed with a color variety, e.g. a "Blue Ameraucana" or a "Wheaten Ameraucana".

About 80% of them can be expected to lay a blue or green egg (the other 20% will produce tan/pink/tinted). The blue egg gene is dominant, so those who lay a colored egg have at least one copy of the gene, but whether they have one or two will be impossible to tell until they are test bred. Those with two copies will produce 100% green egg laying offspring, those with one copy will produce 50% green and 50% brown egg layers. The 20% of Easter Eggers who produce pink/tan/tinted eggs will produce 100% brown/tinted/pink/whatever shade laying offspring when breed with another brown egg layer.

I just checked, and these are Easter Eggers according to the hatchery website which also lists them as Ameraucanas.

 

 

 

The second pullet is a Bielefelder that was taken by a predator, the Bielefelder roo is at the end.

 

The darker bird was a roo that went back to the breeder - I am on borrowed time with my roo because of local ordinances. Have to speak to my  neighbors, but the ones I've already spoken with are ok with him :)

 

I guess that since I am not going to breed several generations, I would have to sell the chicks as EE mixes? And give a color range for the eggs? 

post #4 of 4
Yep, definitely EEs.

Chicks would be Easter Egger mixes, yes.

200 something birds. 8 species. ♥ Norman ♥ Norma ♥ Misha ♥ and ♥ Taylor ♥ are my babies.
Visit Norman the Rooster's Thread Here!
Breeding Sex Linked Silkies, Gamefowl, and EEs/OEs. Amateur genetics buff. Caponization practitioner/advocate.
Working at The Poultry Palace in Placerville, CA. Come see us for started pullets, chicks, Bar Ale feed, & more!

Reply

200 something birds. 8 species. ♥ Norman ♥ Norma ♥ Misha ♥ and ♥ Taylor ♥ are my babies.
Visit Norman the Rooster's Thread Here!
Breeding Sex Linked Silkies, Gamefowl, and EEs/OEs. Amateur genetics buff. Caponization practitioner/advocate.
Working at The Poultry Palace in Placerville, CA. Come see us for started pullets, chicks, Bar Ale feed, & more!

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General breed discussions & FAQ
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › General breed discussions & FAQ ›  Bielefelder with Ameraucana crosses?