Day 21 hatching eggs
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickens
1. "Steal the eggs from the broody ONE BY ONE and take it to a dark room(Pitch black). BE CAREFUL NOT TO CRACK OR DROP THE EGG!
2. You need a flashlight! It needs to be pin size, so you can use an iPhone flashlight or make a contraption like the one I made-
3. Hold the egg on the top of the flashlight. You can gently move it around to check it out from different angles.
4. If it looks like any of these following pics, chuck it.
5. It should look like this on day 21. Mostly dark with some vain info showing; large air sack-
6. Now, take a pencil (you need assistance) and gently trace the air sack line so you can make sure when the chick pips that it pips in the air sack like it should.
7. You may see an internal pip! If you do, take your pencil and draw an X where the beak is! Like this!
Then gently set it back under mama and grab the next one! Keep us posted!
I did just try to use a flashlight in her little coop but was hard to tell ... I believe half of it was dark for most one may need to leave the nest.. it is still bright out here though . Do you think it will affect them if we bring one by one in once it's dark?? I'd hate to mess with them and momma too much!!
I am sorry, but I have to respectfully dis-agree. After day 18, I would Not touch her or her eggs till after day 22. When you tilt/remove a egg it causes the moisture that was under her to escape which "could" lead to hatching problems. I have only hatched 72 in the last year alone, all hatched great and all eggs were hatched by late day 21, BUT I NEVER bother her/their eggs. I would advise you to wait another day or two before touching them or her.
Question, when you put the eggs under her----do you count the day you put them under her as day 1 or the next day---24 hrs later as day 1???
Edited by PD-Riverman - 6/4/16 at 5:02pm