BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › the ducks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

the ducks

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

are these ducks mallards and if they're not what breed are these ducks female has laid about 60-70 green eggs and now is broody they fly a lil bit and the broody duck is very agressive and do you think she will lay more this year or not

 

 

 

post #2 of 8

They look Mallard to me.  If I recall correctly, Mallards are seasonal layers.

Please PM me, or use @Amiga in the message if you would like to hear from me soon.  

Reply

Please PM me, or use @Amiga in the message if you would like to hear from me soon.  

Reply
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by my muscovy View Post

are these ducks mallards and if they're not what breed are these ducks female has laid about 60-70 green eggs and now is broody they fly a lil bit and the broody duck is very agressive and do you think she will lay more this year or not










They could also be rouens. How big are they
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by peepingtonsmom View Post


They could also be rouens. How big are they


I thought of that, too, peppingtonsmom, but lean toward Mallard based on the duck's more oval body shape, rather than a more blocky shape.  But you are right - if they weigh closer to 6 to 8 pounds, then they'd be Rouens.

 

Mallards are closer to, what, maybe 3 pounds?

Please PM me, or use @Amiga in the message if you would like to hear from me soon.  

Reply

Please PM me, or use @Amiga in the message if you would like to hear from me soon.  

Reply
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga View Post


I thought of that, too, peppingtonsmom, but lean toward Mallard based on the duck's more oval body shape, rather than a more blocky shape.  But you are right - if they weigh closer to 6 to 8 pounds, then they'd be Rouens.

Mallards are closer to, what, maybe 3 pounds?
Yea I think mallards are about that.
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 

the female was 3.3 pounds and drake was about 4 pounds 

post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by my muscovy View Post

the female was 3.3 pounds and drake was about 4 pounds 
Than yes they are mallards.
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 

but drake tail is brown to black i've studied mallards and all the drakes have white tail 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ducks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › the ducks